Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unknown RAF aerodrome

Alan Bentley

This is not strictly 1914-18 but can anyone identify the location of these hangars in the UK from my father;s collection.786562043_RAFAerodrome.jpg.33f32d87702c4a6d6f7123339d25e5c8.jpg

If you posted his details, some of the RAF experts here might be able to provide information from his service record. That could narrow down the possible locations.

I see he was from Gwersyllt, Wrexham.

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

It's almost certainly Hawkinge (14 AAP). The triple GS shed units were found on certain Aircraft Acceptance Parks - the only non-AAP with an example was Upwood, but it only had one. The running shed, to the right of centre in the top photo, was also a feature unique to AAPs. Attached are a site plan of Hawkinge and a, pretty grim, photo from the early 1920s.

Hawkinge.jpg

Hawkinge.jpg

The first pair show accommodation huts and latrines.

The others are a guard room - the veranda is the give-away. Guard rooms had a cell for those on a charge and there was a walled compound behind for prisoner exercise.

Thanks for that. I noticed the difference in cap style between the two "guards". The one on the right looks like the later style in use in the 1930s.

The upper picture has the wreckage of a Snipe in which a South African pilot was killed at Hawkinge,June 1921.

See Aviation Safety Network report no. 210614

Does anyone have any input on the lower pictures, all from my father's album.

Snipe crash.jpg

Edited by Alan Bentley