Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Odinary Seaman J G Sutherland

PaulJC

I posted about this chap before but the thread was locked as we strayed into a much later period.

However, I have another question that relates to his initial service 1914-18.

How much information can you find based on sa ervice number and surname with initials? I ask this as there a debate about his place and DoB.

His service number was 865395 and it would be great to find the above plus what the initials J and G are....

Paul

Thats far to high an ON (Official Number) for a circa 1WW RN rating.

I agree. Moreover, there is no J or JG SUTHERLAND in the WW1 RN Medal Roll as Ord Sea or any other rate with a number which might be a corruption.

If you are referring toyour previous SSX topic (now locked), this is surely a WW2 rating - possibly SSX.865395. Records for these men are not in the public domain.

If he did serve in WW1, it was not under this number. What do you have on p.o.b. and d.o.b.?

28 minutes ago, PaulJC said:

How much information can you find based on sa ervice number and surname with initials?

None but you could try applying tothe MOD with the little data you have. -  https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records

17 minutes ago, RNCVR said:

Thats far to high an ON (Official Number) for a circa 1WW RN rating.

That doesnt surprise me but its the only number we have for him. I will inform the family accordingly as I agree it all points to a much later period.  

Paul 

Edited by PaulJC
mails crossed

• Admin

As off topic, will lock. 

• Michelle Young locked this topic