Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kentish Town Adult School War Memorial

gethine45

In January 2019 I published a peer reviewed article entitled " Our Quaker Dead: A forgotten Quaker History" It surveyed Quakers who died in the First World War in the service of their country, as members of the armed forces or as non-combatants. That work continues, as I try and polish the original information. On my computer I have this photograph but cannot for the life of me ascertain where this plaque is located. I lost the reference and a google search has not helped. I have traced all the soldiers named the one causing difficulty is G Askew. Could be one of  two but even then there is some doubt in my mind. What I want to know is whether anyone knows where the plaque is and perhaps throw light on the Adult School. I cannot find any Quaker connection to the school, and the title adult school was principally used by the Quakers to decrfibe their educational efforts. Any information gladly received

image.jpeg.1263499d13f42a0352abcc9c1ed8c572.jpeg

Thanks for your post. The catalogue of Friends House library provides no assistance whether in the books or archives. A knowledgable London Quaker, who used to work in the library, informs me that the reference to a Kentish Town Adult School was new to him. I am in the library for 3 days in December but pursuing some other research, so shall not have time to pursue my query at that time. My suspicion is that I would have to search through the relevant files with regard to adult education. So a future search perhaps.What of course annoys me is my own stupidity for not having referenced my download, but as I said I recall that the plaque had been moved it is somewhere!! It is not amongst the IWM war memorials.

Thanks again

s

Whilst I cannot answer the question, I G***led "Kentish Town Adult School" and got a few sites, e.g. http://www.peasantstopuddles.org/stamp.htm. It definitely existed (!) but nothing I found gave an address. Then I looked at a number of old London maps on the National Library of Scotland website (e.g. https://maps.nls.uk/view/101201403). But could not find it. Perhaps searching a greater number of maps might help.

Acknown 

Appreciate the responses. Pursued Nicky Rowerby connection - unable to assist. Had a picture of the plaque but no further information. Not so much concerned as to actual physical location, although it would be interesting. Have now written to the Camden History Society so I shall see what transpires from there. Always the Camden Archives at some stage.

I have contacted the Camden History Society and perhaps they will respond, otherwise I shall, in the first instance, approach Camden Archives. Annoying that the memorial is not listed by the IWM.

3 hours ago, gethine45 said:

the memorial is not listed by the IWM.

I'm sure they'd be pleased to add it when you track it down.  There are many hundreds out there still to be found.

The Adult School movement dates back to the 1790s and was primarily concerned, certainly in its eary years, with expanding literacy amongst the largely uneducated mass of working class men. During 19th Century it expanded rapidly and and was organized along county ‘Union’ lines with a significant input from various religious denominations (Methodists, C of E etc) and organizations (SPCK). During the late Victorian period its organization was centralized under the auspices of the National Council for Adult Schools. The movement reached its apogee just before WW1 and declined in the inter war years as the WEA and University out reach schemes became more popular.

The Kentish Town School has several mentions in the British Newspaper Archive and a Google search of National Council for Adult Schools should bring you more information about the movement.

Additional Info: Apparently the Kentish Town Adult School used Lyndhurst Hall, Warden Road which was a large premises used as a mission hall and place for meetings. This useful community asset was demolished in the 1980s. There is an entry on Wiki.

Edited by ilkley remembers