Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rifle Brigade TF Battalions in India

poona guard

17 hours ago, poona guard said:

Does anyone have photos of these battalions and/or know of the badges they wore on their pagris?

@stiletto_33853 (Andy) is an RB aficionado and will also know some fellow enthusiasts that between them might be able to help.  Also @MBrockway(Mark) has long had association.  Also @tn.drummondhas a special interest in British troops in India during WW1.

Edited by FROGSMILE

23 hours ago, poona guard said:

Thanks. How do I contact him? Do you know anything about the badges of 1/1 HAC?

Dave

I’ve drawn their attention by using the @followed by their user names.

No, I cannot help with 1/1 HAC, but they have quite a good handle on their history via the following links:

1.https://www.armymuseums.org.uk/listing/honourable-artillery-company/

2.https://hac.org.uk

Edited by FROGSMILE

My info for these RB TF units would be based on Kipling & King, the standard ref on badges, but not super detailed on matters pagri. Also in Scotland at the moment hundreds of miles from my copy!

Andy may have some  images of these TF bns taken in theatre that might show badges, but I suspect most of his material does not show the more formal orders of dress. My advice would be to post your request on the British Badge Forum. Much more likely to get a definitive answer there.

Mark

Dave,

Hope these help, 24th RB

Andy

24th RB copy.png

24th RB (2) copy.png

24th RB (3) copy.png

Edited by stiletto_33853

23 minutes ago, stiletto_33853 said:

Dace,

Hope these help, 24th RB

Andy

24th RB copy.png

24th RB (2) copy.png

24th RB (3) copy.png

Great photos Andy, the flashes look to me upper half dark green and lower half black, is that your take too?

Yes, that's my take on them as well

Andy

4 hours ago, stiletto_33853 said:

Yes, that's my take on them as well

Andy

Thanks Andy, I can see they’re the same height as the whole of the pagri.  It’s interesting too that some are equipped with Wolseley helmets and others have the later Solar Topees. 

Edited by FROGSMILE

Dave,

send me a personal message with your e-mail address and I will forward them to you. I think I have a few more on my hard drives, will check for you.

No credit needed, just say from a RB enthusiast.

Noted the Wolseley helmets and Solar Topees.

Andy

Edited by stiletto_33853

In my research I have found lots of photos of regular army  using cloth patches after the Army order circa 1903 said metal badges were not to be worn.  However the TF Bns sent to India in WW1 ignored this rule in the portrait photos they had taken.

3 minutes ago, max7474 said:

In my research I have found lots of photos of regular army  using cloth patches after the Army order circa 1903 said metal badges were not to be worn.  However the TF Bns sent to India in WW1 ignored this rule in the portrait photos they had taken.

Which patches do you mean Max, not shoulder titles?

Edited by FROGSMILE

Dave,

Finally found the other pictures of the RB TF battalions I mentioned. Will scan that article from the 1928 RB Chronicles tomorrow. Notice portrait photo. TR but no metal badges visible

Andy

Goodsall, A, 206630, 24th RB.jpg

DSC01450 copy.JPG

DSC01488 copy.JPG

Edited by stiletto_33853

2 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Which patches do you mean Max, not shoulder titles?

I mean pagri patches of various shapes and colours on the side of the pith helmet.  There were lots of variants even between battalions but I have seen several photos where the TF in India are wearing cap badges.

59 minutes ago, max7474 said:

I mean pagri patches of various shapes and colours on the side of the pith helmet.  There were lots of variants even between battalions but I have seen several photos where the TF in India are wearing cap badges.

Thank you Max, yes I understand now.  Pagri flashes are an interesting area and not well covered in historical publications on uniform.  There is a good book by a Canadian author on sun helmets, which covers pagris and insignia but wasn’t able to incorporate the huge range of varied cloth and metal insignia.

2 minutes ago, poona guard said:

Hi Andy,

Can I have full size copies of these photos please?

Dave

Perhaps ‘flagging’ @stiletto_33853will help draw his attention.

Edited by FROGSMILE

On 13/11/2022 at 17:38, poona guard said:

Thanks. How do I contact him? Do you know anything about the badges of 1/1 HAC?

Dave

I have some cloth HAC titles. Red HAC woven on Navy blue cloth and ‘A’ HAC same colours as HAC