Jump to content

Remembered Today:

Frank Childs Northamptonshire Regiment, my Great Great Grandad


Chloe
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi, I was hoping someone would be able to help me find a little more info on my great great grandad.

His name was Frank Childs, he was born about 1890 in Camberwell Peckham, London. He died in 1929 so I know he survived the war.

From what I've found myself, he enlisted aged 25 in 1915. He was married to Rosina and had a daughter (my great Nan), also Rosina. 

It looks like he was with the Northamptonshire Regiment, No 85887 / 39226 but I've not been able to find much else.

If anyone could help shed some light on maybe where Frank was stationed, what his role was in the war, what his regiment was up to. Any other info, it would be greatly appreciated.

 

Many thanks, Chloe

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Chloé, welcome to the forum.

Those numbers you quote, are they from documents you already have in the family or from medals, or are they from an initial search you've made and presumed must be him?

Charlie

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

Chloé, welcome to the forum.

Those numbers you quote, are they from documents you already have in the family or from medals, or are they from an initial search you've made and presumed must be him?

Charlie

Hi Charlie, they're from some documents I've found online that seem to match him, and I presume are about him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ah, I see there is a water-damaged service record for a Frank Childs of the Northants then the Labour Corps who was discharged 1919 with address 26 Sear Street, Camberwell. Do you recognise this address?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

And I see that same record notes he has a child Rosina born 26/12/14.

If those two details(addresses and daughter's birth) match your family then we can try and help you interpret his service record. 

NorthantsRgt 39226

Labour Corps 85877

Edited by charlie962
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

And I see that same record notes he has a child Rosina born 26/12/14.

If those two details match your family then we can try and help you interpret his service record.

Yes, they do match what I know of the family, and that is my great nans birthday. Any help you could give would be great.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

To get you started:

called up or mobilised 11/5/1916, he appears to have gone to France 26/3/17 with No6 Infantry Labour Company of the Northamptonshire Regiment. He was wounded to the head in November 1917 and evacuated back to England. 

Back to France again 8/5/18.

His record shows some trouble with the authorities!

Edited by charlie962
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Chloe said:

His name was Frank Childs, he was born about 1890 in Camberwell Peckham, London.

To confirm:

The civil birth records show the birth registration of a Frank Childs in the second quarter of 1891 (i.e. registered between 1 April and 30 June) in the Camberwell Registration District. His mother's maiden name is shown as Hawkins.

Could this be your man?

Edited by Allan1892
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

To get you started:

called up or mobilised 11/5/1916, he appears to have gone to France 26/3/17 with No6 Infantry Labour Company of the Northamptonshire Regiment. He was wounded to the head in November 1917 and evacuated back to England. 

Back to France again 8/5/18.

His record shows some trouble with the authorities!

Thank you, that's really interesting! I would have never found all that out myself

10 minutes ago, Allan1892 said:

To confirm:

The civil birth records show the birth registration of a Frank Childs in the second quarter of 1891 (i.e. registered between 1 April and 30 June) in the Camberwell Registration District. His mother's maiden name is shown as Hawkins.

Could this be your man?

That sounds like him, yes

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...