Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Where is it ?

stripeyman

I have been trawling through my photographs. This was taken by me with my Canon AE in 1987. It is this side of Cambrai but after 35 years it has slipped my memory. Can anyone say where it was and what was its purpose ?

Pillbox 1987.JPG

• Admin

I don’t know if this is your place for sure but there are a lot of structures in Gouzeaucourt. 

• Admin

Him indoors wonders if it might be in the Aubers area? 

No it was in the Cambrai area, I remember going to Ribecourt but no recollection of Gouzeaucourt, it was a while ago.....

As for place I can't help. But I'm sure a couple of years ago this or similar pictures appeared in its own thread.. 

Can't find my old pics, but certainly it is in a village in the west/south Cambrai area, part of the Hindenburg defences. 

I'll have another root through some boxes. 

On 16/11/2022 at 12:33, chaz said:

As for place I can't help. But I'm sure a couple of years ago this or similar pictures appeared in its own thread.. 

My thoughts as well. Definitely on this forum somewhere I think....

Perhaps it might be worth posting it in the " Has anyone got a photograph of...?" thread?

• 2 weeks later...

Had another look at some files with old photos and info, but couldn't find what I was looking for. So made local enquiries.

The bunker in the photo, together with the farmhouse, was destroyed in about year 2,000, apparently on insistence of the farmer's wife.

Below is pic today, had to take it from google earth. Location is Graincourt, Rue de Marquion, it was the last house on the road out of the village, trench map ref 57c K6a 6.5 .

Sad to see another vestige gone, however it  had been lucky to survive so long as 520 Field Coy demolished most in the village on 4/5th December '17 when the British retreated from the village.

Peter

graincourt.jpg

Well done to Peter, not so to the farmer's wife. Behind the photographers is open ground so not in a enclosed street.

What would the structure have been?