Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ivernia sunk 1st January 1917

steviebrown

Hi can somebody help me and give me a list of names if they can of soldiers killed on this ship , I believe my great great grandfather was on board and killed on this ship . His name was William smith from Tenby South Wales . And I believe he was in the yeomanry . Any info would be great kind regards stephen brown 

Hi and welcome to the forum

Here is a list i found

WRECK WRAK EPAVE WRACK PECIO (wrecksite.eu)

on

WRECKSITE - IVERNIA OCEAN LINER 1900-1917

SMITH, WILLIAM ARTHUR, Private, (no. 320499), [Unit] Welsh Regiment 24th (Pembroke and Glamorgan Yeomanry) Bn. [Family] Son of William and Sarah Ann Smith, of Green Grove Cottage, Park Terrace, Tenby. Husband of Alice Beatrice Smith, of 3, Upper Frog St., Tenby, Pembrokeshire, Memorial: Mikra Memorial Read more at wrecksite: https://www.wrecksite.eu/peopleView.aspx?76rDmPLUSwkeG/hs8qUyENjQA==

Edited by jonbem

From SDGW

Name: William Arthur Smith
Birth Place: Tenby
Residence: Tenby
Death Date: 1 Jan 1917
Death Place: At Sea
Enlistment Place: Carmarthen
: Welsh Regiment
Battalion: 24th Battalion
Regimental Number: 320499
Type of Casualty: Died
Theatre of War: At Sea
Comments: Formerly 5463, Pem. Yeo

40 minutes ago, jonbem said:

Hi and welcome to the forum

Here is a list i found

WRECK WRAK EPAVE WRACK PECIO (wrecksite.eu)

on

WRECKSITE - IVERNIA OCEAN LINER 1900-1917

SMITH, WILLIAM ARTHUR, Private, (no. 320499), [Unit] Welsh Regiment 24th (Pembroke and Glamorgan Yeomanry) Bn. [Family] Son of William and Sarah Ann Smith, of Green Grove Cottage, Park Terrace, Tenby. Husband of Alice Beatrice Smith, of 3, Upper Frog St., Tenby, Pembrokeshire, Memorial: Mikra Memorial Read more at wrecksite: https://www.wrecksite.eu/peopleView.aspx?76rDmPLUSwkeG/hs8qUyENjQA==

Thank you for kindly getting back to me so quickly , that was my great grandfather William Arthur smith . From the Welsh regiment. . , my late gran couldn’t remember the name of the ship , but my mum  thought it was the ivernia after I gave her a few names . I can now trace more hopefully , many thanks stephen 

Stephen

If you place IVERNIA in the search field (top right)

it will bring up numerous threads on the subject

Ray

In May 1915, HMT Ivernia  transported the Collingwood Battalion plus remnants of Hawke, Benbow and RND Engineers Battalions from Devonport to  Mudros  to join the Gallipoli  campaign. The main bulk of RND had left earlier in March but the Collingwoods required further training time at Blandford Camp so we’re delayed. Ivernia left Devonport on 12th May arriving at Mudros 22nd May.