Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William Grier.

Armenia

Hello to all GWF Members!

Just starting to research my Grandfather, D/15407 - GS/155592, Private William Grier, 1404052122_WilliamGrier.jpg.b6695c1070ff08a7149b6cf6e6d0d6dc.jpg6th Royal Regiment of Dragoons, North Somerset Yeomanry and Royal Scots Greys. Already quite daunted and somewhat confused by the volume of intricately detailed information available here and online generally. None of it so far very useful to my case!

Any tips, encouragement or information will be gratefully received.

Best regards to all.

William

• Michelle Young changed the title to William Grier.

Yes, thanks for confirmation! Already looked at the Long Long Trail, as well as one or two other sources and websites. Just at the start of my own trail, so haven't achieved much so far, but need to spend a lot more time in reading and research.

Thanks again.

William

• Admin

Assume you have seen his medal index card (courtesy of Ancestry.co.uk)

explanation here

http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/how-to-research-a-soldier/campaign-medal-records/records-of-the-silver-war-badge/

48BB1D34-1478-4C78-ABC2-E3385AF01170.jpeg

Yes, first step on the trail! Got his medal card, tho not yet sure why there seems to be no mention of any 1914-5 Star - He joined up on 8 June 1915. It'll be clearer later, I guess.

Best regards

William

• Admin

If he didn’t get overseas before 31/12/15 there will be no star. I can’t work out the cause of discharge under Kings Regulations, it looks like 392 (x01) but I can’t find that on the list. 
EDIT xvi -no longer physically fit for war service 

• Admin

Here’s the army Oder 29/19 explanation so he was awarded the silver wound badge 

7 minutes ago, Armenia said:

not yet sure why there seems to be no mention of any 1914-5 Star

I have just checked the Medal Rolls for a 1914-15 Star and he is not listed. As Michelle posted, he didn't go overseas until some time after 31 December 1915

I think its para xvi so "(xvi) No longer physically fit for service" As Michelle has just posted 

Discharged on date given on card at age 23 y 7m according to silver badge medal roll

• Admin
4 minutes ago, Mark1959 said:

I think its para xvi so "(xvi) No longer physically fit for service" As Michelle has just posted 

Discharged on date given on card at age 23 y 7m according to silver badge medal roll

Thanks, normally I’m ok with old writing, but that defeated me….

There are at least 4 pension cards for him. None are helpful as to the nature of disability for which he was receiving the pension. The cards suggest he died in the mid-1950s. Widow Margaret. 

Edited by Mark1959

Really very many thanks indeed for all these great responses!

William Grier was disabled due to the loss of either one or both legs, caused by action in The Great War. Not sure when or how or where, though. 

He died in 1955, leaving Margaret, my grandmother, a widow  

As I was only two years old when he died I don’t personally remember him and all family members who knew him have already passed on. Guess I should’ve asked more questions when they were still here. 

Thanks again for your help, its much appreciated. 

Best regards to all

William

Edited by Armenia

6 hours ago, Armenia said:

Hello to all GWF Members!

Just starting to research my Grandfather, D/15407 - GS/155592, Private William Grier,

6th Royal Regiment of Dragoons, North Somerset Yeomanry and Royal Scots Greys. Already quite daunted and somewhat confused by the volume of intricately detailed information available here and online generally. None of it so far very useful to my case!

Any tips, encouragement or information will be gratefully received.

Best regards to all.

William

William - great photo, I'm jealous.

I started with an excel spreadsheet, two columns, date and event.

Record all the events you can find (birth, death, enlistment, promotion, change of regiment, wounds, trade badges, medals, marriage) in date order. Include places!

Print it out and you should find things becoming clearer. If you write something on the printout consider whether it should be entered on the spreadsheet as well, in case you lose/damage the printout.

Hope this helps,

aim.