Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lost Soldier

Sgt_Hazell_Great_Grandson

My family are currantly reserching our Great Grandfather.

William Hazell.No middle name as far as we know.

Born London 1870

Died London 1923.

Married to Clara with 5/6 children inc. Gertrude and Violet.

Service:

Lancs Fusiliers ( 1464 ) 1885-1897. (Promoted to Cpl.)

Northampton Regiment (36974 ) 1897 ?- 1917 ( Promoted to Sgt.)

Labour Corps (88207) 1917-19?? (April 1917-Jan 1919 France )

He joined up underage and served a long long time.

We cannot find him on any census returns.

Any help The Hazell family will be most greatful.

Roland.

Roland

The 1901 census has a 30 year old William Hazell living at Cranham Farm (?) in Little Waltham, Essex. Also there are his wife Clara (31) and children Emily Marie (4), Lily May (2) and Alfred George (11 months).

William is shown to have been born in Danbury, Essex.

Could this be your man?

Also, there's a marriage entry in Q1/1897 in West Ham for William Henry Hazell and Clara Elizabeth Marwick, Vol 4a, Page 270.

Again, a possibility, and if it's him you also now have a middle name

Roland

The 1901 census has a 30 year old William Hazell living at Cranham Farm (?) in Little Waltham, Essex. Also there are his wife Clara (31) and children Emily Marie (4), Lily May (2) and Alfred George (11 months).

William is shown to have been born in Danbury, Essex.

Could this be your man?

Stephen, Claras maiden name was Rudland. William was born in London, we think. We have no record of living at Essex.

Thanks for your help !

Roland.

Hello, Roland.

Steve's asked me to have a look...

1901 Census

William Hazel (one 'l'), age 31, born Uxbridge,

Clara Hazel, age 29, born Middlesex,

Nellie Hazel, age 5, Middlesex,

Gertrude Hazel, age 4, Middlesex,

Thearer (?) Hazel (female), age 4 months, ie born Nov 1900, Middlesex,

Living at 18 Richmond Mews West, Paddington.

This has to be your man!

Steve. (Different one :P )

And Clara's maiden name was Rutland.

Marriage is Q4/1895 in Kensington, Vol 1a, Page 290

(Thanks, Steve)

Kensington district includes 2 Paddington boroughs as well...

Gertrude Hazell, born June qtr 1897, Kensington, 1a-90

Theresa Maria Hazell, birth registered March qtr 1901, Paddington, 1a-25 (since she was "4 months" at the Census on 31-3-1901, she was probably born in December 1900)

Violet May C Hazell, born June qtr 1907, Kensington, 1a-138

Walter Hazell, died March qtr 1910, age 0, Kensington, 1a-73

Can't find birth registration yet.

I'll edit others in here as I find them...

Steve.

PS Caveat on all these. They are only possibilities. The actual certificates are the only real proof!

Hello, Roland.

Steve's asked me to have a look...

1901 Census

William Hazel (one 'l'), age 31, born Uxbridge,

Clara Hazel, age 29, born Middlesex,

Nellie Hazel, age 5, Middlesex,

Gertrude Hazel, age 4, Middlesex,

Thearer (?) Hazel (female), age 4 months, ie born Nov 1900, Middlesex,

Living at 18 Richmond Mews West, Paddington.

This has to be your man!

Steve. (Different one :P )

We think bingo !!

Just phoned my Mum !

Our Surname is Hazell but the rest is just too close.

The first 3 children were Ellen , Gertrude and Theresa. Ellen was known as Nellie !!!!

How do i look at the census ??

You are really a star !!

Roland.

Glad to be of service, Roland

The Census returns are only available with a Subscription. If you can contain yourself, I'll e-mail a copy image of the return tonight. Can't do it from here. E-mail me via my "card" and that will give me your e-mail address. (The files are quite big - about 700kb)

Do you want Mr Nulty and I to search back from there? 1891,1881,1871 ?

Steve

We think bingo !!

Just phoned my Mum !

Our Surname is Hazell but the rest is just too close.

The first 3 children were Ellen , Gertrude and Theresa. Ellen was known as Nellie !!!!

How do i look at the census ??

You are really a star !!

Roland.

The 6 childrens names were: Ellen/ Nellie

Gertrude

Theresa

Dorathy

Walter died young.

Violet.

Thanks, Roland.

Roland,

Have you downloaded or checked his MIC yet?

http://www.documentsonline.nationalarchive...1&resultcount=4

It will probably tell you what battalion of the Northants Regiment he was in in his earlier WW1 days and should lead you to his medal rolls at the National Archives/PRO, which will need a personal visit to find. They are more likely to list his regiment if the MIC doesn't.

These will more likely give you his battalion. I see from your other Topic that you already know that he was in No.10 Northants Labour Company

You can then get an outline view of the Infantry Battalion's Tour of Duty by finding which Brigade and Division they were attached to during 1914-17 on the Long Long Trail website.

The PRO should, again, have a copy of the war diary for the battalion. There are some extracts on the Long, Long Trail and there is a forum here for sharing war diaries. War diaries would only very rarely mention the rank and file soldiers.

Medalwise, he would probably have qualified for the Victory Medal and British War Medal "pair".

If he went abroad with the intital BEF then he may have qualified for the 1914 ("Mons") Star, if he arrived in France before 22-11-14 (recipients in my area were listed in the local weekly paper through 1917 and, I think, into 1918). The 1914-15 Star was for arrivees from 23-11-14 to 31-12-15, or any other Theatre of War to 31-12-15.

Steve.

PS Red letter day for me as well. As I went to make tea, I had a phone call from the daughter of my long, long lost great uncle Walter (we had lost contact with that side of the family for 70 years!) and she told me how he won his Military Medal award (saved an officer while under shell fire) at the Somme in 1918. :D

Thanks once again Steve !

Great news about your relitives MM. Hope you get to see it soon.

I have Williams medal card and he was awarded the "pair". My parents have the medals. I will check out the long long trail website.

regards, Roland.

Unfortunately, I found a reference to it being sold on E-bay in late 2003. Someone had posted an urgent warning on a Family Tree messageboard that it was being sold and to hurry before it went out of the family. I found the message 18 months too late :(

If anyone finds reference to it for sale anywhere, then my Brand New 83 year old Auntie Phyllis and I would like to know about it!

Steve.

Time to make a post on the Medal Wants Forum, methinks...

What was Sapper Beebys story to win his MM Steve ?

Roland.

Walter's Military Medal:

It was announced in the London Gazette on 12-7-1918 and in the local paper on 18-5-1918 so it was probably won around March/April 1918 and therefore probably won at the battle of the Somme 1918 during the German Spring Offensive.

I have only spoken briefly with my "Aunt" (1st cousin once removed I think is the correct relation) and did not want to force her to talk about the war rather than discussing other relatives and introducing ourselves... She did tell me though that he won it for rescuing an officer during an artillery bombardment, but that she didn't know when it was.

He was a signaller in the 12th Divisional Signals Company. Bearing in mind an officer was involved I will have to hunt down the war diary to see if there is any mention of it. I'll have to talk with Phyllis and her brother, Steve, to see if they know anthing more. It would be nice to know which officer he saved, and whether he made it through the War, too.

Unfortunately, Walter was killed in an accident in 1931 and they were all only children then. He had left the family behind in the 1920s and walked from Bedford to Retford (exactly 100 miles) looking for work and then when he found work he went back to Bedford to collect his family. When he died the family stayed in Retford and our side of the family lost track of them. My eldest Uncle was born in 1931, the year Walter died, and my grandfather, Walter's younger brother Jack, died in 1952, so there were only vague recollections of another brother. Some of the other cousins thought that he had died in WW1 like his elder brother, Herbert.

We only found mention of him through a book on the Peterborough casualties of the Great War (No More Strangers, by David Gray) that had transcibed some of the local paper reports of soldiers deaths. It mentioned that Herbert's father (also Herbert) and Walter were serving in France at the time...

From there I found Steve through the Genes Reunited website. To tell the truth I wasn't expecting to locate the family, but I'm glad I could.

Still got some work to do to gather all the details,

The journey is all part of the adventure though, isn't it?

Steve.

It sounds very interesting.Keep us posted!

I found out this week where my G.Grandfather was buried.Old family stories say he was given a military funeral complete with gun-carriage carrying his coffin.There is supposed to be a picture but we cannot find it. However on phoning Kensal Green cemetary with his plot number we were sadly told he was buried in a common grave.( A grave with many un-releated coffins ) His number and name cross matched on their records.

We found it strange if indeed he was given a military funeral that he was laid to rest in this way. His family were not wealthy so maybe the military only supplied the gun carriage . It was 1923 so the War had been over a while. His death was a result of breathing Gas from shells fired while working in The Labour Corps in France.

Anybody got any thoughts?

Sgt Hazell

Old family stories say he was given a military funeral complete with gun-carriage carrying his coffin

I don't know about King's Regs at the time of his death but, under current QR's, I'm sure ex-Service folk are not entitled to a full military funeral. Sorry.

Chris :(

PS

I have enjoyed reading this and the other thread though. What a wonderful place to access knowledge and help so freely given :)

• 4 years later...

Roland

I thought that I would bump this thread just to remind you of the reasons why you joined the forum.

It is a motivation shared by many others who are here and for those who have yet to arrive.

Why trivialise it?

Mel