Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Researching German planes and pilots shot down by British pilots

rossf9

Hi - what are the best sources for trying to identify the German planes and pilots that were shot down by a British pilot? Ideally in English but I'm willing to use a lot of Google Translate for v good German sources!

For example, I have the below excellent summary from Above the Trenches provided by @MikeMeech and I'd really like to try and find out who the German pilots were that Maxwell shot down.

From scouring other threads, two books that I've found mentioned are:

"The Jasta War Chronology" by Franks, Bailey and Duivens

"Casualties of the German Air Service 1914-1918" by Franks, Bailey and Duiven

Are there any others? I live in London and plan to visit the British Library to review the above - so a recommendation for anything else I can find in there would be most welcome.

image.png.e76fcb6e5d493bd72d8982d2110e6933.png

A couple of online sites to try are The Aerodrome and The Cross & Cockade....the Aerodrome folks have been really friendly and helpful to me, several authors participate which brings a great deal of knowledge. There is also a German language site that is good but I can't just remember the name.

theaerodrme.com has a section 100 years ago today where they try to match up who shot down who. I hair tearing out task that I did some work on.