Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Search for information on Sapper Thomas Dunn

Augustin

Good evening, I am looking for information on the life story of Thomas Dunn of the 179th Company Royal Engineers number 139 467.  

Thank you, any valuable information.

Hi

From the MIC on Ancestry looks like he started in the Buffs

UK, British Army World War I Medal Rolls Index Cards, 1914-1920 - Ancestry.co.uk

Name: Thomas Dunn
Military Date: 1914-1920
Military Place: England, Wales, Scotland, Ireland, United Kingdom
Regiment or Corps: Buffs (East Kent) Regiment, Royal Engineers
Regimental Number: 1955, 139467

His pension records show he lived at 44 Waterloo St, St Helens, Lancashire. He was born in 1871. His disability was a compound fracture of his  right leg. He was discharged on the 6th March 1919.  On the 17th October he was given a grant of £50 to start up his own business.  His full name is Thomas Henry Dunn.

I no longer have my downloads but my notes tell me that the 1917 WD of 179 Tunnelling Co RE names Other Ranks including attached Infantry. Might be worth a look.

Brian

12 hours ago, Ron da Valli said:

His disability was a compound fracture of his  right leg

Interesting that this was only 50% due to service!

He also has two medal index cards-one with East Kents the other with East Surrey listed

George

Edited by George Rayner

Thanks to all.

20 hours ago, Ron da Valli said:

Ses dossiers de pension montrent qu'il vivait au 44 Waterloo St, St Helens, Lancashire. Il est né en 1871. Son handicap était une fracture ouverte de sa jambe droite. Il a été libéré le 6 mars 1919. Le 17 octobre, il a reçu une subvention de 50 £ pour démarrer sa propre entreprise. Son nom complet est Thomas Henry Dunn.

How to access these pension records?

2 hours ago, Augustin said:

How to access these pension records?

The low cost option is to join the Western Front Association. An annual subscription of GBP 35.00 as a European member GBP 29.00 as a Digital member will give you unlimited access to the cards. The complimentary magazine ("Stand to!") is excellent, and as a member, you can access old issues too.
https://www.westernfrontassociation.com/fold3-pension-records/

The high cost option is to get an annual subscription to Fold3 for USD 79.95 for this and a lot of US Army records that are not necessarily relevant to this time period.
https://www.fold3.com/choose-a-plan

Edited by Keith_history_buff
Edit: have added strikethrough

My mistake, it appears there are the following WW1 records also available via Fold3

• unburnt British Army service records (archive series WO 363)
  • unburnt British Army service records (archive series WO 363)
  • Royal Navy ratings' Statements of Service (like a fiche matricule for a conscrit français)
  • Royal Air Force airmen's statements of service (like a fiche matricule for a conscrit français) 

https://www.fold3.com/search?docQuery=(filters:!((type:general.title.content.doc-type,values:!((label:Publication,value:PUBLICATION))),(type:general.title.provider.id,values:!((label:The+National+Archives+of+the+UK,value:'43')))))

The Great War Forum has a policy that forbids the direct request of lookups from subscription websites, whose content is behind a paywall.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm also looking for a Thomas/Tommy Dunn, and unfortunately all I have is his name (and by extension, a handwriting sample). Is there a chance that the one you all have found was admitted to the 22nd General Hospital in Camiers France in June of 1918? Here's the handwriting sample if that helps confirm a match:1821559798_RecordBook4_Page_38.jpg.abafed4288798c679571a6c38d72bcc1.jpg