Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Interesting map Lovie

Arne Vandendriessche

Hello

Below is a link to a very interesting map of the domain around De Lovie Castle.

https://digitalarchive.mcmaster.ca/islandora/object/macrepo%3A70397

I have some questions about this.
The domain was General Gough's 5th Army Headquarters.
The first question: would General Gough have slept on that property at night?
On the map is indicated Officeer tent camp, would he have slept there? There is also a large moat where it is written: Private Out of Bounds, maybe that was his sleeping place?
It is also noted in several places: I.Mess, H.Mess
What kind of stuff was dumped in there and what do the letters stand for?

Arne

image.png

image.png.fba17b3baeff9b25edbb8b9fa5d9267d.png

Very interesting map Arne, thanks for posting.

I'm interested in that it shows the location of 770 MT Co., ASC., presumably the HQ, rather than the Lorry,caterpillar & gun parks.
770 were 5th Army Siege Park, with1113 from April 1917 till 30/11/1918

(They were also 4th Army Siege Park from May 1918 - October 1919.
I'll have to consult the WDs to see how they managed to supply 2 Armies with jam at the same time...

There's a link here to your previous post regarding this site:

That is a very interesting map. Many of the McMaster maps come from the collection of Peter Chasseaud, he did his PhD in Great War mapping and on the map is the HQ of 5 Field Survey Company which would explain its presence in the collection.

I have just georeferenced it ready to add to TrenchMapper and it “went straight in”, i.e. it is accurately drawn so I would guess that it was drawn by someone training in 5 FSC.

Howard

Two miles to the north of Poperinghe lies La Lovie Chateau, a magnificent XVIII century mansion, set in a park, its lake and lawns giving an air of tranquillity befitting its present use as a refuge providing home and employment for the mentally handicapped. Yet everything about 'La Lovie' seemingly belies its past some seventy odd years ago when, in 1917, it was the headquarters of General Gough's Fifth Army. Then it would have been alive with feverish activity and a continuous stream of staff cars, motorcyclists, saluting sentries and all that one would expect of a busy wartime headquarters near the battle front.

Behind the chateau lay the headquarters of General Ivor Maxse's XVIII Corps and about 500 yards to the north there was, in a tented encampment, the headquarters of the 1st Tank Brigade commanded by a comparatively young Colonel, who rejoiced in the name of Christopher d'Arcy Bloomfield Saltern Baker-Carr.

Author:
Peter Arscott

Source:
Stand To! No.37

Peter Arscott relates the exploits of G Battalion 1st Tank Brigade at St. Julien on 19 August 1917.

Thank you

@WhiteStarLine

You can help me with this question?

Arne

On 11/6/2022 at 5:33 PM, Arne Vandendriessche said:

It is also noted in several places: I.Mess, H.Mess
What kind of stuff was dumped in there and what do the letters stand for?

Edited by Arne Vandendriessche