Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Alexandre, Meuse (Sept 17 1918)

4thGordons

There are several well known (and often reproduced) pictures of the 33rd Division (ILNG-AEF) in and around "Alexandre, Meuse" in September 1918 (During the Meuse Argonne) offensive. I have lots of references/histories and maps of the AEF 33rd Div's movements during this time but I am really struggling to pinpoint the location of what the official histories (Huidekoper) and the Signal Corps Photos identify as "Alexandre, Meuse"

Can anyone help- where is this?

Chris

In TrenchMapper there are two maps specific to the US 33rd Division at that time. Right click and choose Map ID Jump and use ID= tu_0053 or tu_0054.

I had a look but did not see a mention of Alexandre but you may see something of use.

tu_0053= Troyon Woëvre, published 1937. 33rd Division Troyon sector and Woëvre Plain operation 24 Oct - 11 Nov 1918

tu_0054= Verdun Fromereville Meuse Argonne, published 1938. 33rd Division Verdun Fromereville sector, 8 - 25 Sept, Meuse Argonne offensive 26 Sept - 21 Oct 1918

Howard

Thank you I will have a look. I believe I actually have physical copies of these maps from the folder of maps that accompanies the divisional history, but I may have missed something

Thanks very much, Howard.

Chris