Jump to content

Remembered Today:

105th Siege Battery


TerryP
 Share

Recommended Posts

My grand uncle served in this unit. I have found information via Wikipedia although some of it seems incorrect. Apparently one of the guns blew up on 10th November 1917 killing or wounding the whole unit, however no deaths are recorded on CWGC.  No specific diary on the national archives site. Hoping somebody can help me gleam more information ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

David Philp 107773 kia 6/11/17.

James Hender 137028 kia 6/11/17.

Frederick Storey 77191 d.o.w 6/11/17.

Could this be the event? 

Can you tell us anything about your GtUncle?

Edited by charlie962
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TerryP said:

My grand uncle served in this unit. I have found information via Wikipedia although some of it seems incorrect. Apparently one of the guns blew up on 10th November 1917 killing or wounding the whole unit, however no deaths are recorded on CWGC.  No specific diary on the national archives site. Hoping somebody can help me gleam more information ?

Yeah I have that info...

gunner Henry Pitman 67672 attestation 8th nov 1915, southampton to le havre on 18th may 1916, limited info on his movements other than via wiki

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, TerryP said:

Henry Pitman 67672

There is a service record on Ancestry, if you subscribe

UK, British Army World War I Service Records, 1914-1920 - Ancestry.co.uk

Name: Henry Pitman
Gender: Male
Enlistment Age: 22
Birth Date: abt 1893
Document Date: 1915
Residence Place: 22 Franchise St, Derby
Military Date: 1915
Relationship to Soldier: Self (Head)
Regimental Number: 67672
Regiment Name: Royal Garrison Artillery
Number of Images: 37
Edited by jonbem
Link to comment
Share on other sites

He was only in 105 Siege Bty 15/2 -5/10/16.

Evacuated, suffering from dysentery and thus posted to Depot in UK and subsequently to a different unit once he had recovered.

Edited by charlie962
Detail
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, TerryP said:

attestation 8th nov 1915

image.png.5b72001c28f465926f3a3c581dfa21cd.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

He was only in 105 Siege Bty 15/2 -5/10/16.

Evacuated, suffering from dysentery and thus posted to Depot in UK and subsequently to a different unit once he had recovered.

Ahhh, I've seen that too... but didn't realise he had been transferred. To 180 siege ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, TerryP said:

180 siege

Yes when he returned to France as in that extract provided by jonbem.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There is more info if you go through the 37 pages of service record for example

image.png.0ce80f9f2233c3e1840e106fbc32430b.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

Yes when he returned to France as in that extract provided by jonbem.

I find the records hard to decipher, 5/10/16 dysentery 22/3/17 180 siege those 5 months in-between cant seem to see where he was ?

5 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

Note also that he was a qualified Signaller.

Saw that also but records show "gunner"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22/3/17 joined 180 Siege Bty.

16/12/17 posted to 228 Siege Bty. 

 

 

Gunner is a rank. Signaller is a qualification, earning extra pay!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, TerryP said:

5 months in-between cant seem to see where he was ?

Recovering until end Dec, then goes to Signalling School , Bexhill where he qualifies in January 1917. 

He goes back to France 8/3/17. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Terry

check out the tab at top of page for hints and tips on research and loads of info

image.png.537b00d8155068528a1886f09f644b34.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are fortunate his record survives and is quite detailed. Several versions of the same basic events but each gives a little bit more. Keep looking at the detail. Try to draw up a timeline. We can then correct or explain as you wish.

Charlie

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

22/3/17 joined 180 Siege Bty.

16/12/17 posted to 228 Siege Bty. 

 

 

Gunner is a rank. Signaller is a qualification, earning extra pay!

That’s great thank you…

any idea on the 5 months prior to posting to 180 ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

You are fortunate his record survives and is quite detailed. Several versions of the same basic events but each gives a little bit more. Keep looking at the detail. Try to draw up a timeline. We can then correct or explain as you wish.

Charlie

Thank you I've been trying to do that...my father didn't even know that his uncle existed !!! I've just returned from my second trip to belgium this year, and am going again next april hopefully with a better understanding of his whereabouts...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I note that he must have been in 228 Siege Battery in March 1918 when the Germans launched their Operation Michael, the spring offensive. The battery was overrun and lost 4 of its guns. 

@ororkepis the expert on this... 

There is also a battery history but copies look pricey!

Edited by charlie962
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

I note that he must have been in 228 Siege Battery in March 1918 when the Germans launched their Operation Michael, the spring offensive. The battery was overrun and lost 4 of its guns. 

@ororkepis the expert on this...

wow.. thank you, im still trying to work out how to use long long trail for searching...

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The War Diaries of the Batteries are available in the National Archives. They will give an a record of the unit abd their activities. Normally OR's are not mentioned by name, but sometimes their names do appear.

 

Reference: WO 95/540/3
Description: Army Troops. 180 Siege Battery Royal Garrison Artillery

Army Troops. 180 Siege Battery Royal Garrison Artillery | The National Archives

 

 

Reference: WO 95/477/8
Description: Army Troops. 228 Siege Battery Royal Garrison Artillery

Army Troops. 228 Siege Battery Royal Garrison Artillery | The National Archives

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bit confused where the 228 SB came from ?

I now understand that following his recovery from dysentery he qualified as a signaller and was then posted back under 180 SB. His medical record that jonbem posted above dated 13/09/18 seems to indicate he was with 218 SB ? As his service record shows an entry for 16/12/17 i presume that is when he left 180 but the writing is smeared and I cant make out which battery he switched to.

Edited by TerryP
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...