Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gordon Highlanders Glengarry Red Badge Backing

RCMcollection

I am not convinced this is World War I (or possibly even military used) but I am sure with a wealth of knowledge on this forum there will be some answer or discussion about this badging.  I purchased this glen as it's always nice to have another, especially for Gordons, but I'm finding the felt badge backing completely new and unusual.  It's faded to a pale peach color but you can see the back was once more saturated and has faded around the badge.  I have not done anything to remove the badge and inspect yet.  It appears to be cut to contour the Gordons badge specifically.

Any thoughts?

PXL_20221103_004356731.jpg.95cccd15c3342414fba98227d8e26a7f.jpg

PXL_20221103_004421324.jpg

PXL_20221103_004406937.jpg

PXL_20221103_004401696.jpg

Hi,
    It's not a Military Issued Glengarry, as it would not have that sort of labelling inside. It is very likely that it has either been used by a Pipe Band or it is also possible that a Veteran bought it for wear at reunions/Remembrance parades etc. Although, this might be less likely as I am not aware of the Gordon's wearing a red patch behind their badge on any headdress, so I think Pipe Band use is more likely.
    One other thing springs to mind. Over the years I have seen lots of frame mounted cap badge collections, and often these badges are individually mounted on shaped bits of red or scarlet cloth. This can look very impressive in a frame as it make the badge stand out, depending on the backing colour of the board that they are mounted on. So it might be possible that someone had a Glengarry and a Gordon's badge from as similar collection and married the two together.

I agree that it’s an affectation by a past owner.  It’s not (or more accurately wasn’t) normal in the Gordon Highlanders to wear a red patch behind the cap badge. Whoever it was has even used pinking shears to give the edge of the patch a stylised serrated edging.  It’s the sort of glengarry that might’ve been worn by an old comrade on Remembrance Sunday’s after he left the Army.

Edited by FROGSMILE

All genuine WWI issue Gordons Glengarries I have seen, perhaps 5 or 6,  have had leather banding around the bottom rather then silk. The general opinion seems to be that some officers' Glengarries might have silk but I agree with the above comments.

Chris