Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What Regiment?

Blue Dragoon

Hello

I'm doing a quick bit of research on 2Lt Christopher Hatton South Staffs.  It appears he sadly committed suicide in Grantham during training with 3/6th Bn South Staffs.  This photo is attributed to him on ancestry.  The Cap badge confuses me and the collar dogs look like Herefordshire Regiment.  Can anyone confirm Cap Badge and Collar Dogs?  many thanks, George

Christopher Hatton  Hereford Times December 1915.jpg

Christopher Hatton.jpg

• Admin

Cap badge looks like It could be Manchesters 

Thanks Michelle, what about the collar dogs?  

• Admin

I’m not sure, I’m awaiting the real experts! 

Picture 1 of 3

Picture 1 of 3

I agree more Manchester's than General Service but the collar dogs have got me confused

• Admin

Initially I thought GS then changed my mind. 

Not Mcrs.

Simon

Manchester cap badge and Herefordshire collar dogs

Edited by jay dubaya
awful predictive text...

Herefordshire Regiment (TF), the officers cap badge was the Hereford coat of arms with collar badges of the lion, a larger version of which was the other ranks cap badge.

Steve  

30 minutes ago, SteveE said:

Herefordshire Regiment (TF), the officers cap badge was the Hereford coat of arms

I never knew that ;)

1153057366_herefordshireTFofficersbadge.jpg.bc93b851878f5d82e076cef0abb63592.jpg

It seems that both badges were worn, but it’s not entirely clear how the policy was practised.

NB.  Blue Dragoons photo appears to be a rare example of that quality, I haven’t been able to find another example for the Herefordshire Regiment, even among the Imperial War Museum collection.

89D381FF-EACC-4A18-9ED4-5AA082CA799C.jpeg

A48DC38B-5118-4869-916F-BD5660D92A8E.jpeg

8C951B17-6CEC-4FB0-9D3C-C432508E3CE7.jpeg

5E0EA6B5-8620-47F7-A000-38F9B5419862.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

10 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

NB.  Blue Dragoons photo appears to be a rare example of that quality, I haven’t been able to find another example for the Herefordshire Regiment, even among the Imperial War Museum collection.

I won't post the image as it's copyrighted but a link to a good group photo is here... https://herefordshirehistory.org.uk/archive/herefordshire-images/bustin-image-collection/military-portraits/160778-g36-530-18-officers-of-herefordshire-regiment-jpg?

Steve

5 minutes ago, SteveE said:

Thank you Steve, certainly more consistent with the Hereford coat of Arms in that photo, although very interestingly only a few are wearing the decreed officers service dress bronze badges (and several are without collar badges).  Most are wearing a gilt badge intended for the universal coloured forage cap that they would ordinarily wear with blue patrols or other undress.  It has the look of a transitional period.

Edited by FROGSMILE

The coat of arms badge was replaced by the lion badge which was the silver plated lion and torse without the scroll, I'm not sure when though.       Pete.

Great feedback guys, many thanks.  So Herefordshire Regiment.  He has a Herefordshire connection but trained in Grantham with 3/6th South Staffs having been earlier rejected.  Unless anyone can tell me to the contrary I'm loathe to attribute the ancestry photo at the top of the thread to him? 

This is another ancestry pic attributed as him. Is this the same bloke as the one at the top?

Christopher Hatton

Edited by Blue Dragoon

13 minutes ago, Blue Dragoon said:

Great feedback guys, many thanks.  So Herefordshire Regiment.  He has a Herefordshire connection but trained in Grantham with 3/6th South Staffs having been earlier rejected.  Unless anyone can tell me to the contrary I'm loathe to attribute the ancestry photo at the top of the thread to him? 

This is another ancestry pic attributed as him. Is this the same bloke as the one at the top?

Christopher Hatton

It looks to me to be the same man.        Pete.

Many thanks.  If these are pics of Christopher Hatton I cant find any record of him with the Herefordshire Regiment early on

25 minutes ago, Blue Dragoon said:

Many thanks.  If these are pics of Christopher Hatton I cant find any record of him with the Herefordshire Regiment early on

It looks like the same individual to me too.  He appears very young in the photo wearing mess dress uniform, which would fit with the Herefordshire Regiment being his initial regiment upon receiving a commission (it is also the correct regimental pattern mess dress).  I imagine his family were local patricians and supporters of the regiment.  There is quite an active museum facility concerning the regiment, perhaps you can contact them with your inquiry:  https://herefordshirelightinfantrymuseum.com/history/the-herefordshire-regiment-tf/

1 hour ago, CorporalPunishment said:

The coat of arms badge was replaced by the lion badge which was the silver plated lion and torse without the scroll, I'm not sure when though.       Pete.

Thank you Pete, it’s interesting to see the progressive development of the insignia for this less well known regiment.  The cap badge with just lion and torse must be exceedingly rare, as the only example I can find is a collar badge.  Presumably the badge you describe might be that seen worn by the lieutenant colonel with cuff rank whose image I posted above.  The design is notably a Lion of England of similar pattern to that favoured by the King’s Own (Royal Lancaster Regiment). 

CFFE2108-B040-4D2E-A118-E6B3B99F933C.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

23 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Thank you Pete, it’s interesting to see the progressive development of the insignia for this less well known regiment.  The cap badge with just lion and torse must be exceedingly rare, as the only example I can find is a collar badge.  Presumably the badge you describe might be that seen worn by the lieutenant colonel with cuff rank whose image I posted above.  The design is notably a Lion of England of similar pattern to that favoured by the King’s Own (Royal Lancaster Regiment). 

CFFE2108-B040-4D2E-A118-E6B3B99F933C.jpeg

As I understand it the coat of arms badge was worn originally by the officers of the Herefordshire Battalion, KSLI (TF) from 1908 to 1909 when they were reformed as the Herefordshire Regiment (TF). It continued to be worn after that but for how long I couldn't say.     Pete.

21 hours ago, CorporalPunishment said:

As I understand it the coat of arms badge was worn originally by the officers of the Herefordshire Battalion, KSLI (TF) from 1908 to 1909 when they were reformed as the Herefordshire Regiment (TF). It continued to be worn after that but for how long I couldn't say.     Pete.

That makes sense - here is the bimetal version of the badge that they were supposed to wear only in their universal coloured forage caps, but that’s seen in the group photo with drab service dress, whose link was posted by SteveE.

0DD64117-1B37-4638-8CF2-2B946B64AB69.jpeg

EBF79F59-406C-4523-8449-62E27E60DD24.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

22 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

It looks like the same individual to me too.  He appears very young in the photo wearing mess dress uniform, which would fit with the Herefordshire Regiment being his initial regiment upon receiving a commission (it is also the correct regimental pattern mess dress).  I imagine his family were local patricians and supporters of the regiment.  There is quite an active museum facility concerning the regiment, perhaps you can contact them with your inquiry:  https://herefordshirelightinfantrymuseum.com/history/the-herefordshire-regiment-tf/

Many thanks!  Very grateful for all the feedback