Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Loss of shoulder title

Mike Parcell

My ancestor was in the thick of it a the Western Front being wounded three times etc.  For losing his shoulder title "in the field" he was docked a day's pay  which seems extraordinary in the circumstances.   Does anyone have an explanation ?

• Admin

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/a-soldiers-life-1914-1918/military-crimes-1914-1918-british-army/

Welcome to the forum. A minor military crime it would appear. I don’t have a copy of The Field Service Regulations,  but perhaps other members can assist? 

25 minutes ago, Mike Parcell said:

My ancestor was in the thick of it a the Western Front being wounded three times etc.  For losing his shoulder title "in the field" he was docked a day's pay  which seems extraordinary in the circumstances.   Does anyone have an explanation ?

Each soldier was responsible for the kit issued to him and if anything was lost that could not be explained away by a recorded incident (which he would report to his platoon sergeant) then the default position was that the value of said item would be deducted from his pay at source.  The process was known as the ‘recovery of deficiencies’.  Only the company commander could write off the value of items up to a set amount.  He could for example report that on such a date a shell landed on a dugout and destroyed stores/soldiers spare clothing and that amount would then be written off through the quartermaster countersigned by the commanding officer.  These were routine matters and in a well run battalion ticked over like clockwork.  Soldiers had regular kit checks when out on rest, during which the extent of deficiencies would be ascertained.  The intent was to instil in the soldier his personal responsibility for the kit issued to him.

NB.  The loss of a day’s pay suggests that he was ‘charged’ (formally disciplined by appearing in front of his OC) for negligence and then fined (aka ‘docked’) a day’s pay as punishment.  A day’s pay was a common punishment.

Edited by FROGSMILE

For info, there's a free online copy of the 1909 Field Service Regulations Part I, 1912 reprint with amendments, here, and Part II can be read free here. Minor misdemeanours like losing a shoulder title won't be in Part I, certainly.

Frogsmile and Pat Atkins.   This was my first enquiry on this forum.   Wow !   What brilliant replies.   I am much indebted.    Thank you.