Remembered Today:

Medal Rolls

andrew pugh

Good Evening

I was looking at the Medal Rolls for my Gt Uncle. He served with the 24th Battalion Royal Fusiliers, service number SR/9571.It states that he served with the following battalions 1st Battalion, 24th Battalion, 4th Battalion, 24th Battalion. My question is how accurate would this information be.

Regards

Andy  

• Admin

Looking at a few random Service Records for other RF (SR) men and comparing their actual service with what's on their Medal Roll, there seems to be good correspondence.

Many Regiments were not so particular in recording the full complement of Battalions. Some Regiments didn't record any at all.

Of course, the Medal Roll does not show the Battalion(s) served with in the UK for training purposes - for example your Great Uncle likely enlisted and trained with the 5th Battalion.

It seems therefore that the RF Medal Roll compilers strove for accuracy even though there was no actual need for them to do so. There is no reason to conclude your Great Uncle's Medal Roll is inaccurate with respect to the Battalions listed. If an inaccuracy were to creep in, it's probably more likely that they might miss off a Battalion rather than add a superfluous one in which he didn't serve.

You could do a broader study by taking a larger sample to compare Service Records and Medal Rolls to increase confidence in the accuracy (or otherwise). It would make for a useful study - come back and let us know how you get on.

Regards

Russ

• Admin

Here is an example for SR/9615 Frank Drake.

Medal Roll shows: 1st and 24th Battalions.

Service Record shows: 5th Bn, 1st Bn, Depot, 5th Bn, IBD, 24th Bn.

His active service units of 1st and 24th Bns are accurately recorded on his Medal Roll whereas his UK based units (5th, Depot) and the overseas non-active unit (IBD) are not, which is how it should be.

Regards

Russ

RF MR.jpg

RF SR.jpg

Hi Russ

Sorry about the late reply. Thanks' for the information you have given. Yes he was at Dover garrison with the 5th Reserve Battalion waiting to join a draft to return to the front after his first wounding, I think it was mid 1916 he was there, then he was wounded a second time on the 13th November 1916 and was killed in action on the 24/03/1918. He was also don for desertion and sentenced to 6 months hard labour but it was quashed probably because of the British Arras Offensive where every man was needed. I don't know the reason he was court marshalled, but the family story was that he threatened to shoot himself in the foot so as not to return to France. Cant say I blame him after being wounded twice and seeing all the horrors of war. It's a pity his records didn't survive the London blitz, I'm sure it would have made interesting reading. One again thank you for your advice.

Kind Regards

Andy