Remembered Today:

Accuracy of records

TracyClarke1896

Hi, I've struggled to find much about my grandfather, Albert Edward Clarke who was born in 1896. I have him in the 1911 census with his parents and then nothing until 1928 when he married my grandmother. 

Yesterday I found him in the Absent Voters electoral records of 1919  - registered to a house on the same street as in the 1911 census, along with his brother in law. Alongside the name and address reads "1854450 Spr. G. Co. RE" so I'm thinking that's his regimental number, Sapper, G Company, Royal Engineers. ?

So I was delighted to find these records on FMP, but completely confused by all the numbers, and particularly the stamp that says "Dead", seemingly in 1927... Any insight appreciated! Have I got the wrong records?20221029_203455.jpg.e6336abd8e2b66c6e06a0a83a4328480.jpg

20221029_211800.jpg

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. @ss002d6252is one of the pension records experts, but I believe in this context, Dead means the claim is finished. It doesn’t mean the person is deceased. 

8 minutes ago, TracyClarke1896 said:

So I was delighted to find these records on FMP, but completely confused by all the numbers, and particularly the stamp that says "Dead", seemingly in 1927... Any insight appreciated! Have I got the wrong records?

Tracy,

Welcome to GWF

The annotation and stamp of DEAD refers to the claim becoming dead/ended and not necessarily the man being dead.

M

Edit: as I just see Michelle has also explained.

Edited by Matlock1418
edit

Ah! Thanks both. Sorry , possibly a rookie error on my part then, but good to know. 

18 minutes ago, TracyClarke1896 said:

completely confused by all the numbers

It was very commonly the case that a man transferred between unit regiments & corps and for each they were likely to be given a new number [there was no such thing as a single unique service number in those days] - the trick now will be interpret them and to try and provide you with an explanation and likely sequence.

I'm thinking TR/5/24216 is quite likely to have been his first with the Training Reserve - but must look at the rest as well.

Many others are Ministry of Pension references to help track the claim.

11/M/406497 is for example his MoP Disability Claim reference in Region 11 [SE incl. London]

I feel more on both subject areas may/will likely follow.

M

Edited by Matlock1418
add

• Admin

Here’s his rather busy Medal Index Card (image courtesy of Ancestry.co.uk

8A9D6513-9422-4B89-BA16-771BA8862566.jpeg

1 minute ago, Michelle Young said:

Here’s his rather busy Medal Index Card (image courtesy of Ancestry.co.uk

The 1, 2, 3 etc. numbers in blue ink are the apparent sequence of his units.

M

The extra Royal Engineers, A/1854450 from the pension card looks an especially interesting one since as a seven digit number it rather looks like his renlistment continued into service after the war when a reasonably unique service number system was implemented.

Service Records of such men avoided being bombed/burnt in WW2 and are still retained by the MoD - they can be aquired for a £30 fee. https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/apply-for-someone-elses-records [there may be a loooooong wait]

M

Edit: from the other pension card his D[ate] of D[ischarge] was 18.12.22 - it's not date of death!

Edited by Matlock1418
add link

• Admin

So

1 E(ast) Yorks

2 ? Cav Rgt (regiment)

3 7 Tr Res Btn

4 York Hussars 

5,6 RE 

16 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

2 ? Cav Rgt (regiment)

I thought it said  Z Car Rgt!

The Theatre of War first served = 1 = France

M

Just now, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

I thought it said  Z Car Rgt!

:D Showing your age! :D

M

Dai :lol:

This is all incredibly helpful. Matlock, thanks for that link, would be amazing to get more, we know very little about him. 

Back to the pension cards again and those pesky numbers: Temp I.[dentification] C.[ertificate] No/ SFA 119037 = The ID he would have to produce, typically at a Post Office, in order to claim his pension.

Unfortunately for us we can't see his claimed-for disability [on the face of it he seems likely to have wholly or largely got over whatever it was by 1927 - possibly with a final lump-sum pay-off] nor the quantum of his award(s).

M

Tracy, Another note regarding his MIC - There will be a corresponding pair of Medal Rolls [you can see the Rolls and Page numbers on the MIC] for his 1914-15 Star and also his BWM & VM = especially the the latter roll may be of interest as it may perhaps have battalion numbers/more details etc. identified - Unfortunately I haven't access to them but other members may perhaps be able to help you.

M