Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2761 Cpl John Robertson DCM, 11th LAMB

waltoxgangs50

After my father-in-law died, amongst many other things, we discovered that he had been awarded the DCM for his actions with the Battery in the 1st Battle of Gaza. Amongst his papers/belongings in his office at home we did find a MID Certificate (and what the police told me later was a "live" WW2 hand grenade- of which another story!).  Through our subsequent research we did get a hold of his medal card which listed the usual Service medals of the time and noting that the award of his DCM was confirmed.  However there was no sign at all of any of his actual medals.  As you can imagine not to have the actual medals is a huge disappointment especially as over the past couple of years I have now completed writing up the history of his military service with the MGC for the family - and no medals to go with it!

I would be grateful if anyone could give me some advice as to how I might go about tracking down his medals, either as a group or, even on its own, the DCM.  If all else fails, I understand that it is possible to secure replicas of the medals, and would be indebted for any advice on going about securing these if, as I say, locating the medals does not work.

Any help would be much appreciated

Hi waltoxgangs50,

It must be very disappointing to find that his medals are gone.

I assume that you have asked around the family first? Could they be in a safe deposit box or donated/on loan to a museum?

There are various places connected with medal sales where you can set up a sale alert, e.g. 'Medal News' & auction houses (inc ebay).

There is also the 'British Medal Forum' where you can leave requests about sought medals: https://britishmedalforum.com/

Obviously 1st Gaza was for Palestine in 1917. EDIT just noticed the thread title has his details!  

He won it with the Motor Machine Gun Service 16 August 1917: https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30234/supplement/8409

MiD in LG 6 July 1917: https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30169/supplement/6769

image.png.0635e75003c8c080dc44920215986560.png

Edited by Ivor Anderson
Additional Info

28 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

Recent discussion about him is in this thread.

Thanks Charlie. I thought the title looked familiar! :) and LAMB refers to 11th Light Armoured Motor Battery I see!

This thread needs 'Seeking medals of' added to the title by amending the OP's first post.

I see from his medal card & rolls that he got the WW1 trio as well as the DCM.  You could print and frame this photo in the meantime (I'm not a fan of replicas):

DSC_0548.jpg.ad08869a6e6f6998db1b13d27c9ba8ed.jpg

Edited by Ivor Anderson

Ivor and Charlie, firstly my apologies if I caused confusion in mixing the "topics".  Regarding the medals I note your advice about checking with museums.  I can do that locally. Since he earned the DCM while with the MGC if he had wanted to give it to a Military Museum it would be to the MGC, if it has one?

In the meantime, I take your advice re replicas and will copy the group as you have posted, for which I am very grateful.

8 hours ago, Ivor Anderson said:

You could print and frame this photo in the meantime (I'm not a fan of replicas):

Good suggestion by Ivor.

Good luck with the search. Let us know if you succede, please.

Charlie