Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with epaulette ribbon needed

Graham Anstey

2 hours ago, Matlock1418 said:

C H Law" should likely get his promotion to Lt

Beware there's a CH Law of the Loyal North lancs!

2 hours ago, Graham Anstey said:

Seniority date" 

The date from which his rank was originally considered to apply. Ie often backdated from the date of subsequent publication.

2 hours ago, Graham Anstey said:

have a link to an online copy?

Here's a link to a number of refs to him in Haslingden. I assume they are all him? Youth firing a pistol, congregational organist, piano solo with wounded Belgians etc, incl the 1917 brief ref to his hospitalisation. 

Charlie

3 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

Here's a link to a number of refs to him in Haslingden. I assume they are all him? Youth firing a pistol, congregational organist, piano solo with wounded Belgians etc, incl the 1917 brief ref to his hospitalisation. 

Charlie

Now I just need the link! :D

12 minutes ago, Graham Anstey said:

Now I just need the link! :D

Minor detail!

Sorry, but I am having difficulty copying it.

Tap in forename Cyril, surname Law and keyword Haslingden and you will get the hits 

Charlie

6 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

Tap in forename Cyril, surname Law and keyword Haslingden and you will get the hits 

Charlie

Sorry, my brain seems to have gone on strike! Which website am I searching on?

Ah! I don't yet have a FindMyPast subscription. Looks like it's time for me to get my credit card out. Many thanks Charlie.

I'm awaiting delivery of his death certificate from the Blackburn Registry Office, as I'm intriuged to know whether this heart condition played a part.

Edited by Graham Anstey

You need Findmypast with the package that gives you access to Newspapers. Otherwise British Newspaper Archive, which is also owned by Findmypast but apparently has a better search engine.

1 hour ago, charlie962 said:

Beware there's a CH Law of the Loyal North lancs!

Quite! - The LG search 'initials used' offerings frequently need a careful weeding to get to the correct officer :D [and sometimes required for full names too! :D And sometimes in the same regiment and/or Bn :unsure:] - It's a quirky place to search [sometimes mixing full and initials for surnames too, and even running names together] but the LG is a handy place to go if you haven't Officer's Papers :) You just need patience and to be savvy.

M

Edited by Matlock1418
finish my sentent

Not a ranker after all but commissioned in January 1917 so called up a few months earlier and offered a commission. His officers papers will be illuminating. The date of seniority is when he transferred to that rank. Probably he was the battalion signals officer. MIC states SWB but can find no trace of it.