Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gwendolin Scarth qaimnsr

arantxa

I have a lot of albums and photographs of Gwendolyn scarf but when I looked up on the national archives I only came across Edith scarf I don’t know if they’re related or if anyone can tell me where I find the information on Gwendolin the photographs cover Seaford army camp training camp Netley hospital number for hospital HMS Wandilla  and lots in Salonica

E824943D-FA0F-4481-829D-F40DB62A1E67.jpeg

C6C60A60-3199-48E7-823F-8C02EED9280C.jpeg

BD27772A-9908-4315-9CD2-B95893270E25.jpeg

F1D042AF-8757-4B4A-95CC-834EAC7BE58F.jpeg

• Admin

Is her name Gwendolyn Scarf or Gwendolin(e) Scarth? 

Arantxa,

She is Jessie Gwendoline Scarth. The British War & Victory Medals roll shows that she was a Special Military Probationer. This is confirmed by her medal card, plus the fact that she served on 'Wardilla' from 31/08/16..

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/5119/images/41629_611411_5817-00118?treeid=&personid=&hintid=&queryId=d440da4d199e7e439fb5f4518e1b5cd0&usePUB=true&_phsrc=SIn2519&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true&pId=203117

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D6090117

Are any other nurses named in your photographs?

Regards,

Alf McM

So I guess she just used her middle name was Edith connected as I have a lot of letters to her sect to hospitals and thanking her as a nurse 

Is a special military probationer a nurse ?

Arantxa,

This is part of a reply from the late Sue Light who answered a query I had back in 2009;-

'She was a Special Military Probationer (SMP) which was the TFNS equivalent of a VAD, the difference being that SMPs were employed under contract to the War Office, rather than having a connection to the Joint War Committee (British Red Cross and St. John Ambulance Association). SMPs were a product of war - none within the TFNS beforehand, and the women were untrained, or with limited training (as with VADs). They were, on the whole, given a little more training than VADs which was normally three months' on the wards of a General Hospital. SMPs and VADs served under different contracts although these amounted to exactly the same conditions of service'.

Regards,

Alf McM

That is interesting thank you for that