Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private Isaac Brannon 13484 10th Battalion Yorks Regt

SouthendJohn

3 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

Which is unlikely as he died at a base hospital…..

Exactly -- goes to show that what we find in a newspaper report should be backed up (if possible) by other sources.

Previous thread on the soldier HERE

Isaac Brannon  who died 1915 can be found on several trees on Ancestry 

The details on his life on the trees are questionable

shown as married with a son on serveral trees ?

Ray

Southend John (JB)

In your opening post you stated that Isaac Brannon  (Pte 13484 10th Bn Yorks) was your great grandfather

However the records indicate that the only child Isaac Brannon had was the illegitimate child of  Annie B Holdcroft who made a claim for a dependants pension

Are you a descendent of the child of Annie B Holdcroft ?

or am I missing something

Ray

Edited by RaySearching
typo

49 minutes ago, RaySearching said:

Southend John (JB)

In your opening post you stated that Isaac Brannon  (Pte 13484 10th Bn Yorks) was your great grandfather

However the records indicate that the only child Isaac Brannon had was the illegitimate child of  Annie B Holdcroft who made a claim for a dependants pension

Are you a descendent of the child of Annie B Holdcroft ?

or am I missing something

Ray

His son was Stephen Brannon who was my Grandad, I have his birth certificate stating Issac Brannon and Emma Wilson were his parents.

• Admin

As you and lutonloyal  appear to be the same person , I would ask you which account you wish to keep, as dual membership is not allowed on GWF. We can merge the two memberships. 

1 hour ago, Michelle Young said:

As you and lutonloyal  appear to be the same person , I would ask you which account you wish to keep, as dual membership is not allowed on GWF. We can merge the two memberships. 

can i keep SouthendJohn and have the other deleted please Michelle?

The reason I raised the query

Was that if/was Isaac was married to Emma C Wilson at the time of his death

I would have expected to see Isaac recorded on the cwgc register as the husband of Emma Brannon,  I would also have expected to see his wife as Emma or his son Stephen (as the next of kin)  recorded as the legatee of his effects I am not seeing that, hence the query

(as posted above his sister Margaret Ann was the legatee of his effects)

I understand that you have recently obtained Isaacs will 

could you post it on this thread

Have you had sight of Isaacs marraige cirtificate? which will confirm that his parents (father)  are as recorded on the cwgc register

Ray

13 minutes ago, RaySearching said:

Emma Cecelia Brannon died in Qtr 2 1915 (Chester le Street district, Vol 10a, page 765)

There is a memorial stone to her at St Joseph's Roman Catholic Church, Birtley, Co Durham (image courtesy of Find My Past). This would suggest that as Isaac (died 1 October 1915) didn't have a wife as next of kin hence his sister as next of kin.

Brannon_Isaac_wife.jpg

A search for children with surname of Brannon and mother's maiden name of Wilson finds a Stephen Brannon birth registered in Qtr 1 of 1913 (Chester le Street district, volume 10a, page 1204)

Thanks for that Allan Emma  his wife now confirmed

The query why his effects were recieved by his sister and not his wife is now understood

Ray

Edit I have seen various entrys in the register of soldiers effects where a next of kin (in this case his son an orphan)

had the effects of a deceased soldier  held in trust for him/her until  the son/daughter attained the age of 21

obviously not the case here

Its very sad that Stephen, Isaacs and Emmas  son, lost both parent in 1915

Edited by RaySearching

1 hour ago, RaySearching said:

I would have expected to see Isaac recorded on the cwgc register as the husband of Emma Brannon,  I would also have expected to see his wife as Emma or his son Stephen (as the next of kin)  recorded as the legatee of his effects I am not seeing that, hence the query

Have you had sight of Isaacs marraige cirtificate? which will confirm that his parents (father)  are as recorded on the cwgc register

Ray

Isaac's wife died in June 1915

51 minutes ago, Allan1892 said:

A search for children with surname of Brannon and mother's maiden name of Wilson finds a Stephen Brannon birth registered in Qtr 1 of 1913 (Chester le Street district, volume 10a, page 1204)

yes, my grandad, who we lost in 2005 in Luton. 

Ray

his parents were James and Jane. 

Ray

IMG_20221006_202411489.jpg.8d197f40ecfde3b2a1f05e994859ce20.jpg

Isaac Brannon died of his wound sustained during the Battle of Loos  (25th Sept -8th Oct 1915)

The war diary records

10th September   The 10th Battalion disembarked Bolougne from England  on the 10/9/1915

11th September       Pont-de Briques entrained at this place travelled through the  night detrained at Watten

20th September         marched though the night to Wittes

21st September                         - -                            Wittes to Ames  

22nd September                       - -                             Ames to Burburg   

24th September                                                         Burburg to Noeux-Le - Mines  

25th September                                                         Noeux-Le - Mines to Vermelles

26th September     moved from Vermelles to attack Hill  70  through the village of Loos the  battalion attacked,  losing heavily,  waited through the night to attack again

27th September   Attack on Hill 70 re-commenced the attack went on all day the  battalion again losing heavily

28th September    moved to Noeux-Le Mines where they entrained

The war diary indicates that Isaac Brannon was wounded in action during the attack on Hill 70 on the 26th or the 27th of September 1915 evacuated to a hospital centre where he died of his wounds on the 1st October 1915 having been in France for less than a month

Ray

Edited by RaySearching
amending date typo

• Admin

I would suggest wounded on 26 or 27th. 

49 minutes ago, RaySearching said:

Isaac Brannon died of his wound sustained during the Battle of Loos  (25th Sept -8th Oct 1915)

The war diary records

10th September   The 10th Battalion disembarked Bolougne from England  on the 10/9/1915

11th September       Pont-de Briques entrained at this place travelled through the  night detrained at Watten

20th September         marched though the night to Wittes

21st September                         - -                            Wittes to Ames  

22nd September                       - -                             Ames to Burburg   

24th September                                                         Burburg to Noeux-Le - Mines  

25th September                                                         Noeux-Le - Mines to Vermelles

26th September     moved from Vermelles to attack Hill  70  through the village of Loos the  battalion attacked,  losing heavily,  waited through the night to attack again

27th September   Attack on Hill 70 re-commenced the attack went on all day the  battalion again losing heavily

28th September    moved to Noeux-Le Mines where they entrained

The war diary indicates that Isaac Brannon was wounded in action during the attack on Hill 70 on the 25th or the 26th of September 1915 evacuated to a hospital centre where he died of his wounds on the 1st October 1915 having been in France for less than a month

Ray

Have you got a link showing the bit about Isaac was wounded Ray?

JB 

30 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

I would suggest wounded on 26 or 27th. 

Correct my typo have amended my post

Ray

8 minutes ago, SouthendJohn said:

Have you got a link showing the bit about Isaac was wounded Ray?

?  The war diary  indicates that Isaac was or is most likely to have been  wounded on the 26th -27th during an attack on Hill 70

Ray

11 minutes ago, RaySearching said:

?  The war diary  indicates that Isaac was or is most likely to have been  wounded on the 26th -27th during an attack on Hill 70

Ray

Is it possible I can see the diary anywhere?

JB 

On 05/10/2022 at 12:27, Michelle Young said:

• Admin

War diaries seldom if ever mention other ranks by name. 

2 hours ago, SouthendJohn said:

I've looked at them and sadly it doesn't mention the name of Isaac Brannon in them.

I think that there never was an intended suggestion that he would be named in the WD but think the inference was for the timing of his death for those dates of the battle would seem to be most likely for his initial wounding - and that the WD would be good for setting scene leading and around/before his death

M

Edited by Matlock1418

As an aside my copy of  S.D.G,W  records 47 O.R and 7 officers of the 10th Bn were killed in action between the 26/9/15 and 28/9/15, + a number who died of wounds during the following days

(This may not be the full true number of the losses sustained by the 10th Bn during this period only those that are recorded on S.D.G.W)

Ray