Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private Isaac Brannon 13484 10th Battalion Yorks Regt

SouthendJohn

Just now, RaySearching said:

Bernard  is listed as having died at Ryhope Durham his death registered in the Sunderland registration district

most likley buried in the Ryhope cemetery you could try and contact Durham burial records

brilliant thanks Ray

Buried at Ryhope -- no Church mentioned so probably in the cemetery. Notice in newspaper (image courtesy of Find My Past) gives cause of death as 'thrown from his horse' -- he died in Sunderland Infirmary.

Brannon 2.jpg

1 minute ago, Allan1892 said:

Buried at Ryhope -- no Church mentioned so probably in the cemetery. Notice in newspaper (image courtesy of Find My Past) gives cause of death as 'thrown from his horse' -- he died in Sunderland Infirmary.

Brannon 2.jpg

what a brilliant find, thank you Allan

JB

1 hour ago, RaySearching said:

disease.JPG.bd1f980c121eb88567685bcdb4c5d0ea.JPG

An additional pension card for Bernard  indicates that  Bernard died fron disease !

Useful, but not overly helpful as it is unspecified.

Only a DC will give the definitive recorded cause of death

16 minutes ago, Allan1892 said:

Notice in newspaper (image courtesy of Find My Past) gives cause of death as 'thrown from his horse' -- he died in Sunderland Infirmary.

I have to suggest that perhaps  he did not die from a fall from his horse - the article records he was thrown from it in 1915 [thus becoming injured and seemingly likely discharged because of it] but the pension card offered earlier by Ray suggests unspecified disease as cause of death.

Without other evidence cause of discharge and cause death really need to be the same and death as due to service for CWGC to consider for commemoration.

Again - Only the DC will give the definitive recorded cause of death.

M

Edited by Matlock1418

The fact that he was given a funeral/burial with full military honours does not for me confirm that his death was due to his service.

Just that his service was being recognised by the local military communty.

Go on, go on you know you really want to - get that DC!

M

Edited by Matlock1418
typo

Just now, SouthendJohn said:

looks like i'll have to then ***

No pressure! :thumbsup:

M

Bernard an ex miner My moneys on TB or bronco pneumonia as the cause of death

I shall wait and see

Edited by RaySearching
spelling

38 minutes ago, RaySearching said:

Bernardan an ex miner My moneys on TB or bronco pneumonia as the cause of death

I shall wait and see

Or perhaps Pneumoconiosis - common in mines [but perhaps he was a bit young for that to have really developed]

Think a respiratory problem is a fairly good chance.  Carried off a lot of people in those days.

Should only take four working days for a PDF DC to arrive from GRO!! :D

M

Edited by Matlock1418
pdf

My paternal grandfather was a farm worker with horses, enlisted into the Northumberland Fusiliers in August 1914, later transferred into the RE. After being demobbed in 1919 he couldn't get employment with horses on a farm so he went to work as a coal miner. He died in March 1924, aged 28 years, cause of death on DC :- (a) Phthsis Pulmonalis and (b) Exhaustion. Could never prove it, but my thoughts were that his lung problems began when he was in the military.

1 hour ago, Allan1892 said:

My paternal grandfather was a farm worker with horses, enlisted into the Northumberland Fusiliers in August 1914, later transferred into the RE. After being demobbed in 1919 he couldn't get employment with horses on a farm so he went to work as a coal miner. He died in March 1924, aged 28 years, cause of death on DC :- (a) Phthsis Pulmonalis and (b) Exhaustion. Could never prove it, but my thoughts were that his lung problems began when he was in the military.

I should think a lot died that way Allan.

On 05/10/2022 at 14:19, Matlock1418 said:

Welcome to GWF

Isaac BRANNON, 13484, Yorkshire Regt.

As mentioned by Ray ... This is one of several pension cards - it shows a bit of a 'complication' as his mother also made a pension claim for the loss of her other son Bernard BRANNON, 2034, RFA [who had also earlier made a disability claim having been discharged 25.11.15 but then died 11.1.17 - info from other pension cards]

image.png.ae0f7bd5cd4c644ba656691d64e8863f.png

Image thanks to WFA/Fold3

This is Isaac's medal index card for a 1914-15 Star, British War Medal and Victory Medal.

image.png.2d284b318931797f2f67cbe3e5adf9b5.png

Image thanks to Ancestry

First theatre of war [which got him his medals] was France qualifying/typically landing 9-5-15 - based on this and his death 1-10-15 it he seems that he had a quite short war in France - he may perhaps be mentioned in published Casualty Lists or even in hospital admissions and discharge records [other members may be able to perhaps assist with these, perhaps ...]

M

what site did you find the pensions records on M?

1 hour ago, SouthendJohn said:

what site did you find the pensions records on M?

Pension cards via Western Front Association subscription/membership and free access to them at Fold3 or by subscription to Fold3 [the US/international arm of Ancestry]

M

2 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

Pension cards via Western Front Association subscription/membership and free access to them at Fold3 or by subscription to Fold3 [the US/international arm of Ancestry]

M

Thank you kindly

JB

Hi JB,

On 05/10/2022 at 13:37, RaySearching said:

The register of soldiers effects list his sister Margaret Ann Brannon as the sole legatee of his effects

What was accepted as being his Will, is available for a small fee as a low resolution B&W scan from here. It may well only consist of a very few words though, and add little to what you already know.

image.png.ecca9824dd0fdca8404c07146e385a47.png

Regards
Chris 

Edited by clk

16 minutes ago, clk said:

Hi JB,

What was accepted as being his Will, is available for a small fee as a low resolution B&W scan from here. It may well only consist of a very few words though, and add little to what you already know.

Regards
Chris 

Hi JB,

Regards
Chris 

Hi JB,

Regards
Chris 

thanks Chris i'll get onto that

JB

27 minutes ago, clk said:

Hi JB,

Regards
Chris 

Hi JB,

Regards
Chris 

Hi JB,

Regards
Chris 

got it, thanks Chris, terribly sad to see it.

JB

Hi JB,

If you were interested in getting more context surrounding the wounding and death of your Great Grandad, as well as the Bn diary linked up thread by Michelle, it might be worth downloading copies of the Brigade and Division HQ diaries, as they often include 'extras' such as orders, maps and reports on operations. They are here, and here.

If you come across any map references, there is help on how to read them here, and this website may be of use - link.

Good luck with your research.

Regards
Chris

22 minutes ago, clk said:

Hi JB,

If you were interested in getting more context surrounding the wounding and death of your Great Grandad, as well as the Bn diary linked up thread by Michelle, it might be worth downloading copies of the Brigade and Division HQ diaries, as they often include 'extras' such as orders, maps and reports on operations. They are here, and here.

If you come across any map references, there is help on how to read them here, and this website may be of use - link.

Good luck with your research.

Regards
Chris

thanks Chris, started to read the diaries, i'm desperate to find out anything on his death/stay at St Johns hospital, Etaples...i'm knew to all this, soi 'm trying to find my feet.

JB

• Admin

The only thing you are likely to find is in the local newspapers I imagine. The newspapers reported  the wounding and death of Ernest Young who died on the same day and in the same hospital, and is buried in the same plot as Isaac. I have a map of the hospitals at Etaples somewhere. I’ve been a bit busy since getting home so haven’t had much time to look anything out for you. 
His death certificate will probably just say died of wounds, but won’t elaborate on the nature of the wounds I’d imagine. 

On 05/10/2022 at 18:25, Matlock1418 said:

Should only take four working days for a PDF DC to arrive from GRO!! :D

Apologies/to clarify - If died in UK  = PDF DC in four days - and will usually/commonly give a more detailed cause of death, perhaps including 'from Wounds' or similar - they are usually/commonly more detailed than an Overseas death DC.

If an Overseas death then hard copy DC takes about 20 working days and as Michelle has just indicated will probably/most likely just say 'Killed in Action' or 'Died of Wounds'

M

Edited by Matlock1418

4 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

The only thing you are likely to find is in the local newspapers I imagine.

The only item that I found in the newspaper archive for Isaac's death stated that he was KIA (image courtesy of Find My Past)

Brannon_Isaac.jpg

• Admin

Which is unlikely as he died at a base hospital…..

6 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

The only thing you are likely to find is in the local newspapers I imagine. The newspapers reported  the wounding and death of Ernest Young who died on the same day and in the same hospital, and is buried in the same plot as Isaac. I have a map of the hospitals at Etaples somewhere. I’ve been a bit busy since getting home so haven’t had much time to look anything out for you. 
His death certificate will probably just say died of wounds, but won’t elaborate on the nature of the wounds I’d imagine. 

Thanks Michelle, i appreciate anything that you can find.

JB

1 hour ago, Allan1892 said:

The only item that I found in the newspaper archive for Isaac's death stated that he was KIA (image courtesy of Find My Past)

Brannon_Isaac.jpg

thanks Allan, that's brilliant

JB