Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private Isaac Brannon 13484 10th Battalion Yorks Regt

SouthendJohn

Hi all, i know my Great Grandad died of wounds on 1st October 1915 at Loos, but any more info would be greatly appreciated, first post, so i'm a bit clueless.

Regards

JB

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. War diary will be available to download free of charge from the National Archives website. You have to register but that’s also free. 

I see he’s buried at Etaples cemetery, so would have succumbed to his wounds a few days after he was wounded. Plot 4 is where my husband’s great uncle is buried, having died 1/10/15 after being wounded 25/9/15. I’m actually sat in the queue at Calais waiting to go home after my annual visit to Loos so can probably add some more information when I’m home. 

thank you for your swift reply Michelle,  hope you had a great time,  if you have any info it would be greatly appreciated, i have a small amount, but would love to know more.

Regards

JB

I assume you have also seen his brother Bernard who also fell

brannon.JPG.c7e022a3d737ba6d6b30683309089aed.JPG

Ray

Issac died of his wounds in St Johns Hospital Etaples 

The register of soldiers effects list his sister Margaret Ann Brannon as the sole legatee of his effects

The claimant of a dependants pension is shown as Miss Annie B Holdcroft (later married Mrs McGowan) 

of 7 Charles Street Boldon Collery Durham guardian of illegitimate child

Ray

As an aside 

Isaacs brother Bernard  appears to have died at home after discharge not commemorated on CWGC ?

212226468_bbrannon.JPG.4ad54bedf02ee13b43a4f49f7c4104c8.JPG

Ray

2 hours ago, SouthendJohn said:

first post

Welcome to GWF

43 minutes ago, RaySearching said:

The claimant of a dependants pension is shown as Miss Annie B Holdcroft (later married Mrs McGowan) 

of 7 Charles Street Boldon Collery Durham guardian of illegitimate child

Isaac BRANNON, 13484, Yorkshire Regt.

As mentioned by Ray ... This is one of several pension cards - it shows a bit of a 'complication' as his mother also made a pension claim for the loss of her other son Bernard BRANNON, 2034, RFA [who had also earlier made a disability claim having been discharged 25.11.15 but then died 11.1.17 - info from other pension cards]

image.png.ae0f7bd5cd4c644ba656691d64e8863f.png

Image thanks to WFA/Fold3

This is Isaac's medal index card for a 1914-15 Star, British War Medal and Victory Medal.

image.png.2d284b318931797f2f67cbe3e5adf9b5.png

Image thanks to Ancestry

First theatre of war [which got him his medals] was France qualifying/typically landing 9-5-15 - based on this and his death 1-10-15 it he seems that he had a quite short war in France - he may perhaps be mentioned in published Casualty Lists or even in hospital admissions and discharge records [other members may be able to perhaps assist with these, perhaps ...]

M

Edited by Matlock1418
remove duplicated MIC images

His Medal Card (image courtesy of Ancestry) shows that his war was only 3 weeks. Landed in France on the 9 September 1915.

Brannon.jpg

Mr M -- you beat me to it again! (Memo to self -- must type faster!)

31 minutes ago, RaySearching said:

Isaacs brother Bernard  appears to have died at home after discharge not commemorated on CWGC ?

From the Register of Soldier's Effects entry there is no mention of cause of death [it only mentions his £3 War Gratuity for his service - I believe that £3 is the minimum rate payable, >6 months home service ?? or any O/seas service]

Couldn't see a cause of death on the pension cards either.

A Death Certificate should provide cause of death [which might not qualify him for CWGC, or it might!]

I suggest the OP perhaps gets it and lets us know - a £7 PDF from GRO https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/Login.asp

This rather looks like him

Name:        Age at Death (in years):  
  BRANNON, BERNARD     21  
GRO Reference: 1917  M Quarter in SUNDERLAND  Volume 10A  Page 722

M

Edited by Matlock1418
correction

Isaac BRANNON

CWGC entry https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/499320/isaac-brannon - Buried Etaples Military Cemetery so it seems very likely he was in the evacuation chain [looking back over the thread I see @Michelle Young has already mentioned this scenario of wounds] - So hospital A&D could well be on the record ... Over to another member(s) ...

M

Edited by Matlock1418
add mention of MY

5 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

So hospital A&D could well be on the record

Isaac died of his wounds in St Johns Hospital Etaples  as on register of soldiers effects 

Cannott see a silver war badge record for his brother Bernard !

Just now, RaySearching said:

Isaac died of his wounds in St Johns Hospital Etaples  as on register of soldiers effects 

Certainly not disputing [but can't see posted], but perhaps an A&D record also. ??

M

Bernard BRANNON

1 hour ago, RaySearching said:

brannon.JPG.c7e022a3d737ba6d6b30683309089aed.JPG

Injuries = accident during Home Service ???

15 minutes ago, RaySearching said:

Cannott see a silver war badge record for his brother Bernard !

Nor a MIC for medals so does rather look like HS.

Perhaps injuries were so bad that a SWB didn't seem necessary - and he was discharged before they were introduced in 1916 so perhaps Bernard didn't retrospectively apply ???

Isaac BRANNON

7 minutes ago, RaySearching said:

Here you are then

1756325325_ib.JPG.602d538a345f60b7b83825d31990aedf.JPG

:):thumbsup:

M

Edited by Matlock1418

disease.JPG.bd1f980c121eb88567685bcdb4c5d0ea.JPG

An additional pension card for Bernard  indicates that  Bernard died fron disease !

4 minutes ago, RaySearching said:

disease.JPG.bd1f980c121eb88567685bcdb4c5d0ea.JPG

An additional pension card for Bernard  indicates that  Bernard died fron disease !

any way of finding out where he was buried Ray?

Bernard  is listed as having died at Ryhope Durham his death registered in the Sunderland registration district

most likley buried in the Ryhope cemetery you could try and contact Durham burial records