Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William James Morgan

Simon92

Hello There 

I was wondering if someone could help me? I recently purchased a WW1 British war medal and I have been trying to do some research but I have hit a wall at the moment.

The Medal Is WW1 BRITISH WAR MEDAL to CAPTAIN W. J. MORGAN  M.C.  of the SHERWOOD FORESTERS (Notts and Derby Regiment)

He was awarded the Military Cross for Conspicuous Gallantry and Devotion to Duty as reported in the London Gazette on 23/7/18.Which I have found through research 

I've tried to find him on various sites but no luck if anybody could help that be very kind 

thank you

• Admin

His MIC shows he was an Acting Captain, so therefore his substantive rank would I assume be Lieutenant.

On that basis, this seems to be the Reference to his Officer File, which can be viewed at TNA.

Regards

Russ

Morgan.jpg

BWM & VM MIC also showing his MC = In theatre 1, Notts & derby, 7-7-17,  2nd Lt - later 15 Notts and Derby, Acting Capt.

Reverse of MIC shows his appication for his medals and an address of 55 Cavendish Rd, Clapham Park, London  SW12

M

Citation 2/8/18 via Findmypast

chrome_screenshot_1664915795285.png.ce0eae40757664b7c05e87411b09dd95.png

Someone cleverer than I can find the annotated version with original date and place of action. 

Charlie

I see that Lt WJ Morgan MC of the Sherwood Foresters appears as wounded in the daily casualty list published 25/6/18. (Actual wounding two or more weeks earlier)

Note that he already has MC after his name.

Edited by charlie962

Is the B. W. M. named Lieut. W. J. Morgan. ?.    The reason I’m asking this. There is another Lieut. W. J. Morgan. R. A.    Lyn.

Edited by roselyn2

From what I have found there is not much information as captain I have researched on ancestry and nothing comes up I haven't tried  lieutenant.on the medals says Capt W J Morgan 🤔 I'm so puzzled  

Hi Simon92,

It looks like he was awarded his MC for his actions on 25th March 1918 at/near Mericourt, whilst serving with the 15th Bn. The Bn war diary is here, the Brigade diary here, and the Division diary here

image.png.72ea49af73569d1f003b82b804c57d75.png

image.png.61a37d2bf0b00dd1707690aaf7dfa370.png
Images sourced from the National Archives

The Army List of December 1919 indicates that he held the rank of Lieutenant wef 1st July 1917

image.png.241c0e07bd0a3e92c1e96445e8cae5af.png

image.png.c976386e6fcf70760e1ecb7c0703d082.png

image.png.075067ee0289c2c87e1c65cd2f8f554a.png
Images sourced from the National Library of Scotland

Regards
Chris

1 hour ago, Simon92 said:

From what I have found there is not much information as captain I have researched on ancestry and nothing comes up I haven't tried  lieutenant.on the medals says Capt W J Morgan 🤔 I'm so puzzled  

As RussT mentioned above, his substantive rank would be Lieutenant, his medals would be impressed with the highest rank achieved, Captain (Acting). 

1 hour ago, Simon92 said:

From what I have found there is not much information as captain

Try the London Gazette for his commssion and promotions etc

e.g. 

Notts. & Derby. R. ... Temp. Lt. W. J. Morgan to be actg. Capt. while comdg. a Co. 16 Apr. 1918. https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30774/supplement/7732

Notts. & Derby. B. Temp. Lt. W. J. Morgan relinquishes th& actg. rank of Capt. on ceasing to comd. a. Co. 16 May 1918.  https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30805/supplement/8567

Temp. Lt. W. J. Morgan (Notts. & Derby. R. (Serv. Bns.)) to be actg. Capt. while comdg. a Co., Young Soldiers' Bn., Notts-. & Derby. R. 30 Sept. 1918. https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31137/supplement/1140

Temp. Lt. W. J. Morgan, M.C. (Notts. & Derby. R. (Serv. Bns.)), relinquishes the actg rank of Capt. on ceasing to comd. a Co., 53rd Young Soldiers' Bn., Notts. & Derby. R. 30 Jan. 1919. https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31298/supplement/5004

Ok he ends his days as a Lieutenant 

Foresters. Temp. Lt. W. J. Morgan, M.C. relinquishes his commission on Completion of service 30 Jan. 1919, and retains the rank of Lt https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/32251/supplement/1967

M

Edited by Matlock1418
typo

Not spotting him with the Sherwood Foresters in the British Army Monthly List for July 1917, and there are lots of W. J. Morgan's to wade through to see if he might initially have served elsewhere or was commissioned into the Special Reserve,.

However the September 1917 Army List shows him as a 2nd Lieutenant Attached to the Regular Army Battalions of the Regiment, and with seniority from the 25th January 1915. That should be his commissioning date. (See column 1316b, very close to the top. https://digital.nls.uk/british-military-lists/archive/120299266 )

Even with a date I'm still not turning up anything in the London Gazette. - others may have better luck.:)

Going back to the July 1917 list there is a Second Lieutenant W. J. Morgan with seniority from the 25th January 1915 who was recorded on the establishment of the 13th Battalion, Training Reserve. He was a temporary Lieutenant with effect from the 1st September 1916. (Column 1577L  https://digital.nls.uk/british-military-lists/archive/104024816  )

Cheers,
Peter

7 hours ago, PRC said:

However the September 1917 Army List shows him as a 2nd Lieutenant Attached to the Regular Army Battalions of the Regiment, and with seniority from the 25th January 1915. That should be his commissioning date. (See column 1316b, very close to the top. https://digital.nls.uk/british-military-lists/archive/120299266 )

Even with a date I'm still not turning up anything in the London Gazette. - others may have better luck.:)

Think this is likely his commissioning LG  

INFANTRY. The undermentioned to be temporary Second Lieutenants. ... Dated 25th January, 1915: — ... William James Morgan https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29051/supplement/885

M

If his original commission was Jan 1915 then I think this photo (from a group of officers on a recruiting drive) in the Tatler 1915 is him: 

chrome_screenshot_1664914965292.png.c377048756f03e53a94f2f1bd33a5e17.png

Source Findmypast newspapers 

The Long, Long Trail entry for the 14th Battalion, Sherwood Foresters, joins up some of the dots on what has been posted so far.

14th (Reserve) Battalion
Formed at Lichfield in October 1914, as a Service battalion for K4 and came under orders of 91st Brigade, original 30th Division.
10 April 1915 : converted into a reserve battalion. Moved to Brocton Camp in March 1916.
1 September 1916 : converted into 13th Training Reserve Battalion of 3rd Reserve Brigade at Brocton.
See 53rd (Young Soldier) battalion, below

53rd (Young Soldier) Battalion
Up to 27 October 1917, this was known as 13th Young Soldier Battalion and had no regimental affiliation. Before that it had been 14th (Reserve) Battalion of the Sherwood Foresters. A basic recruit training unit based at Rugeley, it was part of 1st Reserve Brigade. It moved around October 1918 to Clipstone.
https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-british-infantry-regiments-of-1914-1918/sherwood-foresters-nottinghamshire-derbyshire-regiment/

So looks like he was no longer fit for frontline service after his wounding.

Cheers,
Peter

"Source of prev photo via Findmypast -Tatler 8/9/15"

Same photo, less clear, appears in Sheffield Daily Telegraph of 27/8/15 and tells us the officers are route marching through the counties of Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire recruiting. 

With all that info above there is now a good timeline that can be drawn up.

I agree that the probable date of his wounding matches the 'ceasing to command a company 16/5/18'. 

Charlie

Edited by charlie962

The 15th Battalion War Diary doesn't appear to have any mention of him, although it is very sparse on Officers' names generally and for most months on the version available from the National Archive between July 1917 and May 1918 there are no appendices. The diary for February 1918 is missing completely.

On the 16th May 1918, the date when he ceased to be a Company Commander, there were no casualties recorded, and there were none since the start of the month. Most of that time had been spent in training, with the Battalion providing working parties in the Forward area to assist the Royal Engineers since the 11th.

So possibly he was attached elsewhere. Would be good to tie down the date of the actions he was awarded the Military Cross for and see how that ties back into the War Diary entries.

Cheers,
Peter

20 minutes ago, PRC said:

Would be good to tie down the date of the actions he was awarded the Military Cross for and see how that ties back into the War Diary entries.

25/3/18 Méricourt per that annotated citation posted by Chris.

Edited by charlie962
Not annoyed but annotated !!

21 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

25/3/18 Méricourt per that annotated citation posted by Chris.

Oops - in all the going back and forth through the thread I lost that one. Could do with a good summary :)

War Diary certainly shows the Battalion in action on the 25th. Other than location, details aren't specific enough to rule in or out Captain Morgan as earning his M.C. with them on that day.

1626673653_15thSherwoodsWarDiary23rdto25thMarch1918sourcedTNA.png.4947eb214c088d1141c717307b20d379.png

Image courtesy The National Archive.

Cheers,
Peter

Edited by PRC
Reference location