Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

168th Brigade Royal Field Artillery 1st Prize medal

andy007

Hi all,

Thought you might be interested in a 1st Prize Medal from 168th Brigade Royal Field Artillery received in Germany in 1919 by my Great Grandfather William Barclay. Unfortunately I don't know any more than what is on the medal. 

I can't find my Great Grandfather's name on any of the 168th nominal rolls in the unit's war diary so I suspect he may have transferred into the unit following the armistice.

Apologies for the quality of photos, they were passed to me by a relative who holds the medal.

Andrew

Medal 1.jpg

Medal 2.jpg

Thanks for showing this.

1919 Diary mentions Brigade Sports 4/8/19. Perhaps for this?

There is a William Carruthers Barclay born Scotland 1898. Married and died in NZ. Is that him? Service no 192734. I note the medal roll shows rank Driver with him being a Signaller. Probably mobilised Dec 1917. Entitled British War and Victory medals.

The prize medal is marked Gunr and name Barcley.

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/10/2022 at 23:32, charlie962 said:

Thanks for showing this.

1919 Diary mentions Brigade Sports 4/8/19. Perhaps for this?

There is a William Carruthers Barclay born Scotland 1898. Married and died in NZ. Is that him? Service no 192734. I note the medal roll shows rank Driver with him being a Signaller. Probably mobilised Dec 1917. Entitled British War and Victory medals.

The prize medal is marked Gunr and name Barcley.

Apologies for the delayed reply Old Sweats.

That could quite possibly be the event where he was awarded the medal.

You are correct, that's him. Given the spelling mistake of the surname, its possible they got the rank wrong too!