Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bay. Feldlazarett Nr. 44

Jaeger6

Hello,

the death of my great-granduncle Paul Nawrath was reported to the registry office of his hometown, but the unit he served in gives me some trouble. The entry reads:

"Die Ersatz-Abteilung der 5. und 6. Garde-Feldartillerie-Regiments-Versorgungsabteilung zu Jüterbog hat mitgeteilt, dass der Kanonier der leichten Munitionskolonne 442 (früher I/204), Paul Nawrath, [...] im Bayerischen Feldlazarett Nummer 44 am vierten Februar des Jahres tausend neunhundert siebzehn vormittags um drei Uhr verstorben sei und zwar an Folgen von Erschöpfung und Grippe."

That is: "The replacement section of the 5th and 6th Guards Field Artillery Regiment Supply Section at Jüterbog has reported that the gunner of the light ammunition column 442 (formerly I/204), Paul Nawrath, [...] died in the Bavarian field hospital number 44 on the fourth of February of the year one thousand nine hundred seventeen in the morning at three o'clock, as a result of exhaustion and influenza." (The original is attached)

I was neither able to trace the leichte Munitionskolonne 442 nor the Bay. Feldlazarett 44. Due to the fact that the mentioned G FAR belonged to 1. Garde-Reserve-Division I assumed that the unit was stationed SW of Péronne, somewhere around Frise, directly at the Somme but I couldn't find anything in the usual sources (GenWiki, denkmalprojekt.org, church registries...). I/204 looked to me like first battalion of RIR 204 but this didn't help either.

Does anyone have an educated guess how to interpret the death certificate.?

Markus

Sterbeurkunde Paul Nawrath 1917.jpg

Markus

I understand I/204 to be I. Abteilung Leichte Mun. Kolonne 204. Following a reorganisation the Mun. Kolonnen were renumbered. 

Source - Cron p252-3

Charlie

B55AE3DE-C906-4ED0-900E-F49745D56CDE.jpeg

Edited by charlie2

There's a monument in Scheinfeld in Bayern listing a Dr. August Albrecht who was with "b. Feldlazarett nr. 44" ("bayerischen Feldlazarett nr 44"??)

http://www.denkmalprojekt.org/2019/scheinfeld_lk-neustadt-a-d-aisch-bad-windsheim_70-71_wk1_wk2_bay.html

He died in "Birtiscorin". Closest I can find is a Vîrteşcoiu in Romania. But were there Bavarians in Romania?

ScheinfeldBavaria.jpg.4e0ee32f66d583aefc911a577df0fd51.jpg

Bavarian Verlustliste nr 341 listing Dr August Albrecht

http://des.genealogy.net/search/show/5682106

30 minutes ago, GreyC said:

As he was Bavarian in a Bavarian unit you should find him in the Bavarian Kriegsstammrollen on Ancestry,,accessability provided.

GreyC

I don‘t see the connection to Bavaria apart from the Feldlazarett, have I missed something? 
There is a Paul Nawroth in the Bavarian records but he is 10 years older, perhaps a coincidence but he was also born in Silesia and served in the Artillery.

Charlie

Via Dr. August Albrecht in the Bavarian Kriegsstammrollen we may find the location of Bay. Feldlazarett 44 where Paul Nawroth died.

Hello,

Leichte Munitionskolonne 442 was created on 1 February 1917 from the leichte Munitionskolonne der I. Abteilung/Feldartillerie-Regiment 204.

Ersatz unit for lMK 442 was indeed the Ersatz-Abteilung/5./6. Garde-Feldartillerie-Regiment

lMK 442 was attached to Alpenkorps from 01.02.1917 to 28.02.1918 and to I/FAR 204 from 28.08.1918 to 30.03.1918. It was renamed lMK 1401 on 01.04.1918.

Jan

Hello,

thanks to everyone for your support.

Following the order of battle of the Alpenkorps and the diary of an Oberleutnant of FAR 204 (http://www.uni-cms.net/feldpostsammlung/index.php?ID=233), the Bay. Feldlazarett Nr. 44 must have been situated close to Jaristea in Greater Wallachia, as FAR 204 stood at the river Putna between the cities Bolotesti and Putna.

I wouldn't have searched in this area without your help. Thanks again.

Markus

I‘m not sure if Dr Albrecht‘s record helps as I can‘t make out the fourth entry in the list of campaigns. B.FL44 was previously b.FL 203

Charlie

C44C1F6E-6E68-4BF1-A1BB-44ED6B03A7D4.jpeg

1 minute ago, JWK said:

Rhumanien (Romania)?

Thats what I thought at first but it doesn‘t seem to fit, the „h“ in Frankreich is different.

37 minutes ago, charlie2 said:

„h“ in Frankreich is different.

Maybe he started to write the h, noticed that it would be a spelling mistake and put the first line of the u on the half written h to write correctly Rumänien. The only letter in Sütterlin that looks like this is a capital B which wouldn't make any sense.

The word above the mystery word looks like Siebenburg, and Siebenbürgen is a German form of Transylvania/Romania.

Edited by knittinganddeath

1 hour ago, knittinganddeath said:

The word above the mystery word looks like Siebenburg, and Siebenbürgen is a German form of Transylvania/Romania.

They are campaigns in areas rather than towns - Frankreich, Serbien, Siebenbürgen & Rumänien?

6 hours ago, Jaeger6 said:

Bay. Feldlazarett Nr. 44 must have been situated close to Jaristea in Greater Wallachia

Vartescoiu/Virtescoiu is about 8 km / 5 miles from Jaristea

Romania.jpg.9e082f811e029863d036c25ba2f060b8.jpg

Edited by JWK

15 hours ago, JWK said:

Vartescoiu/Virtescoiu is about 8 km / 5 miles from Jaristea

That could make sense, but how did you come up with Vârtescoiu?

I‘ve had a look for a few hours at historical maps online and the very detailed maps in the A-H Official history and have come to the conclusion „Birtiscorin“ is a mistranscription. There doesn‘t appear to be any town/village with any similar name.

Charlie

I agree with charlie2.

But, if you want to be 100% sure, you can go to Munich and check the war diary of the Feldlazarett.

There is a regimental history of FAR 204, but it seems very rare and there's no guarantee there's much info in it.

Jan

13 hours ago, Jaeger6 said:

That could make sense, but how did you come up with Vârtescoiu?

"Birtiscorin" is mistranscribed, as is blatantly obvious, as is "Gienchy" in the link of the Denkmal I sent earlier. Maybe it's the transcriber, maybe it's on the Denkmal, I don't know.

So, I found in earlier searches that a V is often transcribed as a B, and "corin" at the end could very well be "coiu" (if you're not familiar with the written place-name)

Then a "fuzzy search" on geonames.org

That's how I got to Vartescoiu/Virtescoiu.

Which, coïncidentally is close to Jaristea.   Jaristea was definitely nót on my radar at the time.

Absolutely nó doubt that my work-method, and outcome, is going to be shot down in flames before anyone even tried it, but there it is.

On 03/10/2022 at 22:55, JWK said:

That's how I got to Vartescoiu/Virtescoiu.

Sounds really convincing to me. Meanwhile, I asked a Romanian pupil of mine to read out the name for me and the pronounciation of the V sounded like a mixture of V and B which gives even more credibility to your results.

Thanks for that.