Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

10th Heavy Battery RGA

KONDOA

Evening Chums,

This battery served in German East Africa although in Farndales order of battle it is listed as in Palestine which I am doubtful of.

As I have a man from this battery shot through the heart whilst sat on a latrine in Kondoa Irangi I would appreciate any information regarding this unit. The war Diary reference number at the NA shows them as Divisional troops East Africa .

I am not aware of a South African Battery meeting this description at this time.

Could a pal please clarify.

Roop

Guest birdflightless

Hi,

The only references I can find in Farndales 'Forgotton Fronts', (pre 1916), is as follows; (which you may already have).

May -July 1915, Dardanelles - Krithia & Summer Battles at Anzac.

August 1915 - January 1916, Dardanelles - Sulva.

The only other info for this date is that 4 more 60 pounders of the 10th Heavy Battery were landed on 7th August.

During this time the 10th were part of 20th Brigade RGA, GHQ Troops.

Hope some of this helps.

Stewart

Thanks Stewart,

I therefore believe that this NA reference should read 10th Howitzer Battery which may have been the renamed 2 Battery of the 2nd SA Field Brigade. Maybe not??

Roop

Guest birdflightless

Hi,

I have just found reference to a 10th Heavy Battery in German East Africa August 1914 - October 1916;

The Artillery "had grown in an ad hoc manner but now reorganised to provide the maximum capability for the forthcoming offensive. By 1st February 1916, as was structured as follows;

g. 10th Heavy Battery.

(Previously No. 3 Heavy Battery). It had the two 4-inch Mark III naval guns recovered from HMS Pegasus on improvised field gun carriages. A third gun was added on 11th February 1916. these guns were drawn by Packard lorries with six Reo lorries for ammunition. The battery was manned by Royal Naval personnel and commandered by Captain G. St. J. Orde-Browne, RA (Retired). He had been Assistant District Commissoner, British East Africa, in 1914 and had once again volunteered for service". (Farndale-ForgottenFronts)

Hope this dosn't confuse things too much!

Stewart

Guest birdflightless

Just read on a bit further and found this;

22nd May 1916- Kondoa-Irangi

"10th Heavy battery was bought into action on North Hill and thus, in the heart of Africa, the guns of the sunken HMS Pegasus came into action to face the guns of the sunken Konigsberg once more. These two forces sat facing each other until the rains ceased in June, the roads dried up and mobile actions were once again possible".

Stewart

Stewart, Fantastic stuff,

Orde Brown led the column from Mbyuni down to join DeVenters forces, my GF was in this column as was the Pegasus guns . Your info really ties things up nicely as I have quite a bit of other reference to this mob.

One of the quirks of this campaign wa sthat the Germans had the guns of the Konigsberg directly opposing the Pegasus guns.

Very grateful for your time and reply.

Roop