Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Display Tank ? 2743

Raster Scanning

I have had this picture for around 30 years and thought it was about time I did some research. I am guessing it is a display tank but would be interested on thoughts. interestingly there is a huge pile of randomly piled wooden chairs behind it. Sorry the picture is quite small it is all I have to hand.

atank.JPG

Edited by Raster Scanning

Thanks Andrew.

Good she survived.

Hi Gwyn, have you ever seen a photo of it with the original serial number 2743? I presume the photo above must have been taken when it was on display in Gloucester.

John

The photo above was taken on its arrival at Gloucester but it's still in its wartime markings. The number can be found painted internally even today, though the last digit has been damaged. I have a photo of the interior pre-restoration that also shows the number.

Gwyn

Hi, I knew about the number inside the cab but hadn't seen a photo of it in original livery. I've just downloaded your article - thanks!

John

Thanks all very interesting. I will make a better copy when I next return home.

On 06/10/2022 at 01:09, Sidearm said:

You can download a copy of my paper for the Transactions of the Bristol & Gloucestershire Archaeological Society on the Rediscovery of the Gloucester Presentation Tank from my LinkedIn profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/gwyn-evans-24999714

Gwyn

Good to see TBGAS taking this article and even better to read it! I spent 2 years at school in Gloucester (CTSB), so know all the place you mention.

Trajan