Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SMLE Buttstock with Disc: Unusual disc Numbering?

chills

The stock:

I purchased this stock a while back the promptly forgot about it however the disc markings appear more interesting.  The disc markings do not appear to match the format I've seen on other Enfield rifles.  I do think this buttstock is a 3rd variation, very nice walnut, 2 stamps (see pics), no lightening holes and inletted for a swivel.  It's also about 12 3/4" long with the plate so it could be a 'Short' but there are no other markings on the outside or top to indicate that.  I am not sure if the plate is matched to this buttstock.  It appears to be of the WWI era with an EFD ^ and I7 stamp in the type set I think isfrom that time.  The fit along the side is very good but the fit to the top is not quite.  The brass plate appears to have been 'slapped around a bit' but the stock is clean.  The plate screws do not appear original.  The disc appears matched to the butt stock the disc and the inlet are a perfect match, they have not been apart in over 100 years. 

The disc:

At first glance, the numbers appear 518164 when orientated up.  However when viewed upside down, the last two numbers are clearly a 72.

So variations could be:

5181 (72 are upside down)

or 

72181 (5 is upside down)

or

518 (721 are upside down)

Any help here appreciated - this ones go me stumped - and that's not hard.

C.

IMG_3839.jpg

IMG_3829.jpg

IMG_3831.jpg

IMG_3832.jpg

IMG_3850.jpg

IMG_3836.jpg

IMG_3837.jpg

IMG_3833.jpg

IMG_3846.jpg

IMG_3840.jpg

IMG_3848.jpg

IMG_3847.jpg

Edited by chills

Mr Chills,

Very nice walnut wood, lovely colour, and is that what is called “tiger stripe” markings.

The brass disc markings, on the other hand, are somewhat less than lovely.

My guess is that there are two different “rack” numbers here.

Very unusual that no unit or date marks are present.

Makes me wonder if it was British service issue, but then the broad arrow/EFD strike is clear.

If it is a short stock, maybe was issued to one the bantam battalions later in the war when unit markings had been discontinued.

Regards,

JMB

Hi JMB, 

I pulled the stock disc and I can confirm that there is no broad arrow marking on either side.  There are, what could be, tool markings on the side but I don't equate that to a broad arrow.  Having never had my hands on real stock discs I don't know what to make of it.  I've taken some more close ups to see if this sheds any more light on what this actually is.

IMG_3889.jpg

IMG_3888.jpg

IMG_3887.jpg

IMG_3886.jpg

IMG_3885.jpg

Chills,

Those edge markings remind me vaguely of Iraqi or Farsi letters.

I hope that somebody with a better knowledge of those can chime in.

Regards,

JMB