Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What are these items? Help with identification please.

timbee

I picked these items up in a larger collection of WW1 relics. I think the first may be a fuse blank/blanking plug. Happy to be corrected and for any more information on type, maker and what the markings indicate. Thread is tapered. Overall length and flange diameter both around 1 1/2 inches.

Assuming second item is also a relic of similar age but no idea what it might be.

Thanks in advance.

20220928_001902.jpg

20220928_001257.jpg

20220928_122353.jpg

20220928_122336.jpg

20220928_122344.jpg

1st  item is a plug for the fuse pocket of a shell, to be removed when the fuse is fitted. The second appears to be the safety pins from a fuse or grenade. I do not recognize which fuse it has come from and my suspicion is that it is German. Hopefully someone can give a definitive answer.

Cheers

Ross

As Chasemuseum said. Its nomenclature is "Plug, Fuze Hole, Special, No.1 MkIII" for shell taking fuze No.44. Plug made by Joseph Breedon & Co., Birmingham.

The wirey thing is the safety cap combined securing pins for "Fuze, Percussion, Direct Action, with Cap No.44".

Thank you both for your very helpful replies. I'm assuming as both items relate to the same type of fuse it would be no great coincidence if these had been found close together-plug removed, fuze fitted then safety pins removed before firing all in the same location?

It is almost certain that both items will be found together, for the very sound assumption you make.

While the No.44 fuze was used with 18-pr Smoke and 4.5" Howitzer Smoke and Chemical, it was used with the larger guns - 6", 9.2" and 12" so it is likely that nearby will be found Tube, Friction, T (MkIV) for firing those guns... 

An image from the internet of a No.44 fuze with safety cap and securing pins removed. The lower device is an Adapter No.2 MkII, for allowing 2" gauge shell to accept GS gauge fuzes such as the Nos 44 and 45 (ones with the tapered thread).

No.44_3.jpg

Thanks again. Nice to have a connection between 3 items that without everyone's help I wouldn't even have known what they were. Bit of an accidental purchase if I'm honest, was part of a mixed lot which contained a Lee Enfield oiler/oil bottle which I buy whenever I see one.

1 hour ago, timbee said:

Thanks again. Nice to have a connection between 3 items that without everyone's help I wouldn't even have known what they were. Bit of an accidental purchase if I'm honest, was part of a mixed lot which contained a Lee Enfield oiler/oil bottle which I buy whenever I see one.

If they are looking for new homes I would be interested in the friction tube (or all of the times) to go with my small RGA collection (my grandfather was RGA and I have been looking for ‘bits For a long time.

i picked up a nice harcourts oiler the other day for £5 :) 

Guess they aren't in my normal collecting sphere and would be good to go to someone who does have a link to artillery related items. I guess there's  a way of PMing you so will get in touch.

• 1 month later...