Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Service record and medals

suema61

Hello 

My great grand uncle sadly died on the HMS Stephen Furness on the 13th Dec 1917 as below. 
I would like to know how I can find maybe his service record if its available and any medals he may of been given. 

George William Blore
SHIP'S STEWARD
Service No. 344752
Age 35
Died on 13 December 1917
SI Royal Navy
CHATHAM NAVAL MEMORIAL

Thanks in advance 

Sue 

BA4FE427-3EF0-4EBE-9DC8-44BF31DDE52C.jpeg

19 minutes ago, suema61 said:

George William Blore
SHIP'S STEWARD
Service No. 344752

They can currently be downloaded for free from the National Archive site. You do need to sign in with your account, but if you don' have one even that can be set up as part of placing your first order. Just click on "sign in" and follow the instructions - no financial details are requested.

The relevant page of the National Archive catalogue is here https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D6781829

Cheers,
Peter

6 minutes ago, PRC said:

They can currently be downloaded for free from the National Archive site. You do need to sign in with your account, but if you don' have one even that can be set up as part of placing your first order. Just click on "sign in" and follow the instructions - no financial details are requested.

The relevant page of the National Archive catalogue is here https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D6781829

Cheers,
Peter

Thank you so much for that got it ! 

regards 

Sue 

There is more about your G Uncles WW1 service on Ancestry. He was posthumously awarded the 1914-15 Star, British War & Victory Medals which were issued to his Widow. Also his school registration and discharge record, deaths record, probate records and census information from 1891 to 1911.

Hi I’m just adding loads of info the George now wading my way through with info found or given. Thank you 😊 

13 minutes ago, Lawryleslie said:

There is more about your G Uncles WW1 service on Ancestry. He was posthumously awarded the 1914-15 Star, British War & Victory Medals which were issued to his Widow. Also his school registration and discharge record, deaths record, probate records and census information from 1891 to 1911.

12 minutes ago, KizmeRD said:

The ship he died on was an armed boarding steamer that got torpedoed and sunk off the Isle of Man by SM UB-64 with the loss of 101 lives.

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/16199-hms-stephen-furness/#:~:text=DUMP CEMETERY Belgium-,h.m.s. stephen furness

MB

Thank you 😊