Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Vickers and Bren loading and firing on a range 2022

Simon Birch

The actual film of the weapons themselves starts at 3.06.

Simon

A nice clip, took me back to me first range day firing the Bren as a 13 year-old cadet, over 50 years ago. Imagine the fuss if that was done today !

• 3 weeks later...

I first fired the .303 Mk1 Bren gun around 1963 when I was an 11 year old army cadet with 252 Hulme Cadet Bty RA in Manchester. Back then, they didn't really seem to bother if you wasn't quite old enough to join - as long as you had plenty of enthusiasm. I stayed with the Bty and ended up as an NCO instructor before joining the regulars (RA) in January 1969 at the age of 17 years and two weeks. Too old for Junior Leaders, and too young for the regulars, my first year of service didn't count. I knew the Bren inside out before joining the regulars - and still do. And on one occasion when at Mourmelon le Grande in 1970 at the end of our four weeks shoot of the Bofors guns, we were told to use up all the SAA rather than take it back to Germany. Oh what fun me and my mate had, firing off nearly 700 rds between us at an old armoured car covered in tin cans! Happy days!

Cheers,

Steve

On 17/10/2022 at 06:32, Stevie said:

an old armoured car covered in tin cans! Happy days!

sounds like a lot of fun.

Cheers