Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Nurses at Stobs Camp, Herwick Scotland

Struan Kerr

Hi all

Would anyone know how I could get details if my Grandmother Mary Ann (Polly) Kerr who was supposedly a was a nursing sister during WW1 with the QAIMNS, Queen Alexandra’s Imperial Military Nursing Service at Stobs Camp.

I have tried the list of Army nurses with negative results.

Any help would be greatly received.

Struan Kerr

Sydney, Austrralia

>

As David says, Maiden name is needed to see if she has a record.

Having said that I did find a Nurse's record listed by TNA under her married name but this must be a rare occurrence.

Clipboard01.jpg.70ae00d56f60e7df66a337f0bfbf62d1.jpg  Clipboard02.jpg.02deaa1b9d687a28cedae3614e972ea2.jpg

TEW

Tew,

Although not common, it is not unusual to find QAIMNS and TFNS records listed under a nurse’s married name. This can make things difficult if you don’t know that the nurse has married. One way to check this is to look up the nurse in Ancestry’s ‘All UK & Ireland Nursing Registers’. These will usually identify the nurse by both maiden and married surnames, even if you only enter one of them. This only applies if the nurse continued working after marriage.

Bertha Smallman - UK & Ireland, Nursing Registers, 1898-1968 - Ancestry.co.uk

Regards,

Alf McM

• 2 months later...

Struan,
To start with this needs a little family history please. Assuming that this lady was your paternal grandmother, what was her family name before marriage, when was she married and to whom?
There is a Mary Ann KERR in the nursing records, from 13 Crow Road, Partick, Glasgow, but she married a Mr. MUNN sometime between 1935 and 1945.
There are plenty of family historians who are on the GW Forum, with access to various different databases, but we do need a starting point. 

Noel

2 minutes ago, alf mcm said:

Mary Ann KERR married Duncan MUNN in Partick in 1926. She may have forgotten to update her nursing record until 1935.

Regards,

Alf McM

Thanks Alf. I had no points left over on "Scotland's People" having used them up recently on someone else's puzzle.