Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Japanese Victory Medal - Authentication?

4thGordons

I realize this might be impossible to do from photographs but would one of the experts care to provide their view as to whether this is an authentic Japanese Victory Medal. I understand that these have been fairly broadly reproduced over the years.  I recently purchased this one because the patina/general appearance suggested to me that at very least it was not a recent copy.

Thanks in advance:

Chris

jap1.jpg.ca1ab37cf796c14b6ba6114abbd900e8.jpg

jap4.jpg.fd98ca606c0531c4af9251087c13008f.jpg

jap3.jpg.dac8c9206fafd6a616999a31b01d97b7.jpgjap5.jpg.718b01f19c963a64ecf9599b4e6f7cd1.jpg

jap3.jpg.dac8c9206fafd6a616999a31b01d97b7.jpg

jsp6.jpg.48c1bafc8785063428d9b4ea75e89c00.jpg

I'm certainly no expert but (almost) had the full set many years ago so took a bit of interest in these items at the time.  There are many pictures and some serious discussion at the following link that may be useful.  The obvious detail and patina are well covered but also the "blobbiness" of some characters and depth of hatching are highlighted as are the reverse of the fixing ......... any of which may tilt the balance.

Whatever the outcome rest assured that my JVM was a very dodgy second best when compared to yours. 

Japanese Victory Medals - Inter-Allied Victory Medals of the Great War - Gentleman's Military Interest Club (gmic.co.uk)

Edited by TullochArd

1 hour ago, TullochArd said:

I'm certainly no expert but (almost) had the full set many years ago so took a bit of interest in these items at the time.  There are many pictures and some serious discussion at the following link that may be useful.  The obvious detail and patina are well covered but also the "blobbiness" of some characters and depth of hatching are highlighted as are the reverse of the fixing ......... any of which may tilt the balance.

Whatever the outcome rest assured that my JVM was a very dodgy second best when compared to yours. 

Japanese Victory Medals - Inter-Allied Victory Medals of the Great War - Gentleman's Military Interest Club (gmic.co.uk)

Thank you - very useful link.

I have Alexander Laslo's book on the "The Interallied Victory Medal" and it seemed to meet most of the criteria set out there so it's good to see another set of references.

Thanks again,

Chris