Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SAAF RFC 26th Squadron

Rory Reynolds

I was gifted a copy of this photo - purportedly of the 26th SARFC Squadron at Eastbourne in 1917.

I thought the members might enjoy it. Sadly, as is so often the case, no names are appended to the personnel in the photo.

916616619_SAAF26thSquadronEastbourne1917(1).jpg.af52c72ccd2fbcb47b89a38a62af9c50.jpg

Regards

Rory

Thank you David. I had seen the RFC in East Africa link, not the other one. As far as I know there is no list of 26 Squadron personnel save for the list of commissioned officers.

Regards

Rory

7 hours ago, Rory Reynolds said:

I was gifted a copy of this photo - purportedly of the 26th SARFC Squadron at Eastbourne in 1917.

I thought the members might enjoy it. Sadly, as is so often the case, no names are appended to the personnel in the photo.

916616619_SAAF26thSquadronEastbourne1917(1).jpg.af52c72ccd2fbcb47b89a38a62af9c50.jpg

Regards

Rory

Hi

I am not aware that 26 'SARFC' Sqn. ever had Sopwith Camels or were at Eastbourne during 1917.  Jefford in 'RAF Squadrons' No. 26 Sqn. leaving for East Africa on 23 December 1915 and en route back to UK on 6 June 1918.  Only equipment mentioned are BE2c from January 1916 to January 1918 and Henry Farman F.27 from May 1916 to March 1917.  At present I cannot see the relevance of the image to that unit.

Mike

This doesn’t seem to be a picture of 26 squadron personnel for the reasons already mentioned.
The two Camels appear to be active (rather than used for training purposes) because they both have had their centre section cut-outs enlarged to improve visibility. This was common practice in operational squadrons. Finally, it seems that most of the men in the photo are OR’s. Could this be a picture just of a squadron’s fitters, riggers and mechanics etc?

My apologies if I’m stating the obvious. 
Alec

There appears to be a caption and an arrow below the picture but it's been rubbed out.Another clue.Can it be read on the original?

Also the enlarged cutout in the centre section was a1918 modification for Camels .

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the input chaps. The photo was sent to me by a lady who asserted that it was her grandfather's - he served with the 26th Squadron in GEA (German East Africa) at some juncture.

Edited by Rory Reynolds