Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Fairlie

Raster Scanning

I have been reading the diary of Harry F Trewman who was an officer in the Bedford's during the war.

Trewman was Captain of the 9th Bedford's rugby team and describes a fellow player and officer.

" A fellow subaltern Fairlie by name, was a magnificent player, far better than I, and had played for Blackheath, a first class club. But he was unreliable as far as drink was concerned, apart from which he was a fine chap, even though as events proved a bit unstable".

Trewman goes on to state Fairlie was cashiered for abusing his commanding officer when drunk, he then joined another unit as a private, was sent to the front and earned a commission again. Returning home on leave he found his wife with another man, shot them both and then himself.

An interesting story that warrants further investigation.

I will try to see if his records survive as it is a reasonably uncommon name, also his MIC. I have written to Blackheath Rugby Club to see if they can help.

Any other ideas?

There is a Temp. 2nd Lieutenant W. Fairlie in the 9th Bedfords with a date of rank of 17 June 15 listed in the January 1916 Army List. The November 1917 Army List has his name in the index but when you go to the listed page his name is not listed. His name is not in the index of the November 1918 Army List.

Regards. Dick Flory

Dick

Thanks very much.

This must be the man. I will do some digging. Now I have an initial I should be able to get somewhere.

After a quick look in the London Gazette, W Fairlie was Cashiered as a result of a General Court-Martial, 27 July 1916.

John