Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can anyone help ? D.L.I Boxing Medal ?

Just A Glesga Keelie

Hi,

I wonder if any of you good people could shed some light on this medal ? 

My friend gave me a bag of cap badges and shoulder titles and this medal was in the bag along with them, now i don't even know if it's WW1 related or not :whistle:

it says,

Garrison Boxing Competition

Winner Bantam Weight

Pte Moran. P.J.

D.L.I. (Durham Light Infantry)

Kind Regards m2.jpg.6b57f3a6e8460a1ef5542e9dc3fb7d32.jpgm1.jpg.b131640069839bc8838767982d36a1e0.jpg

10 hours ago, Just A Glesga Keelie said:

Hi,

Pte Moran. P.J.

D.L.I. (Durham Light Infantry)

Kind Regards m2.jpg.6b57f3a6e8460a1ef5542e9dc3fb7d32.jpgm1.jpg.b131640069839bc8838767982d36a1e0.jpg

A clear view of the hallmark and makers monogram would give you the earliest date it could have been presented. 

20 minutes ago, busterfield said:

Does the 68 signify pre Durham Light Infantry ?

I believe it is not unusual to see historical insignia used on later regimental items. 

The badge to the left represents the Northumberland Fusiliers, the V is the number 5 and this regiment had been the 5th Fusiliers. The badge to the right is the Durham Light Infantry. I believe they shared a depot at Fenham Barracks in Newcastle upon Tyne until the DLI moved there depot to Brancepeth Castle in 1939. It seems, given that, that the medal might be an inter depot boxing medal from pre 1939.
     Some of the DLI boxing trophies are in the museum in Hartlepool. These are all named and it is possible this mans name might appear on one of them. Also the DLI regimental magazine always reported the results of boxing matches, so there may be reports within that publication as well.

20 minutes ago, gnr.ktrha said:

I believe they shared a depot at Fenham Barracks in Newcastle upon Tyne until the DLI moved there depot to Brancepeth Castle in 1939

Yes, between 1884 and 1939 the depot was shared. Plenty of time for inter-battalion rivalry.

Craig