Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

More Than The Grandchildren Want To Know!

Terry

I was looking through the service file of a soldier of the 5th Bn.,CEF this weekend, and found tucked away a rather interesting page, which gives an indication of just what can be discovered in CEF files.

This young soldier enlisted in Sept.,1914; reached France in Feb.,1915;

and at 2nd Ypres was wounded in the scalp when he was carrying a machine gun into position. Invalided back to England, he recovered and eventually transferred to the CAMC, spending the rest of the war in the UK.

The page I referred to earlier was headed: DEFENCE OF THE REALM REGULATIONS, and was a document dealing with this soldier's adventures in London in March,1918. After giving his name, rank,etc., the next series of questions are enlightening:

DATE OF INTERCOURSE: Mar.8, 18

PLACE OF INTERCOURSE: Around Hyde Park; in park

DATE ON WHICH YOU FIRST BECAME AWARE THAT YOU HAD CONTRACTED THE DISEASE: Mar.12, 18

NAME OF WOMAN ALLEGED TO HAVE INFECTED YOU: Unknown

ADDRESS OF WOMAN: Unknown

GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF WOMAN. CAN YOU IDENTIFY HER: Young; No

WAS SHE PREVIOUSLY KNOWN TO YOU: No

PLACE WHERE YOU MET WOMAN ON THIS PARTICULAR OCCASION: Hyde Park

WAS ANY MONEY PAID TO HER; IF SO, HOW MUCH: No

WILL YOU GIVE EVIDENCE IN COURT AGAINST WOMAN IF SHE IS PROSECUTED: No

I guess young soldiers will never change! I wonder if the grandchildren ever saw this file?

WHat a find, Terry. The poor man. A perfect example why such records are not released for umpteen years.

Robbie :lol:

You just can't beat the great outdoors B)

He didn't know her name or anything about her; they just "met" and did the deed????

He must have had one hell of a chat up routine - either that or she was into uniforms in a big way........!

Terry

I am supprised they allowed that peice through just a few years back they used to black out that sort of thing. I have a number of records blotted out in this fashion. If he did not give her money I wonder what else he had other then what he came away with.

Regards

Stephen

Yes, Stephen, I too have ended up with service files liberally blacked out, but usually thery have been WW2 files. My luck with WW1 files has been much better, as they are all considered archival material now, while 39-45 stuff still may deal with living survivors.

Very interesting Terry,

I wonder if they held similar inquiries with all soldiers who contracted VD? From my experience there seems have been an unusually high percentage of sufferers in the AIF, certainly not as common place as AWL charges (I think that just about every man I have researched had at least of one of these) but pretty common all the same.

Rgds

Tim