Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bit of help re postings please

Mick M

I think I've found an answer to the puzzle;

In the original pic above from Phillips service record, C13 is just discernable in the second column next to HMS Bonadventure which according to this site (harwichanddovercourt.co.uk/submarines-ww1) serviced C13. He then transferred to C16 on 11th February 1917 exactly 1 month prior to the tragedy which cost him his life.

I have 1 reference ( http://dreadnoughtproject.org/tfs/index.php/H.M.S._C_13_(1907))   to C13 travelling to Harwich from Sheerness in April 1914 to take up duties with 6th Submarine Flotilla and a history of Harwich (harwichanddovercourt.co.uk) which refers to the "Harwich Force" set up after outbreak of war and under the command of then Commodore  Sir ReginalTyrwhitt, this included 8th Submarine Flotilla.  Did both Flotillas (6th and 8th) serve from Harwich or did 6th become 8th when the Harwich Force was formed? Its not particularly important as it does serve to show Philip served at Harwich after HMS Dolphin albeit on 2 boats...

one last thing do we still refer to ships in the feminine or has that somehow now offensive?

mick.

25 minutes ago, RNCVR said:

No, uncertain, what are tags?

When you do a post you can imbed tags which a search may find and direct to the post. That has exhausted my IT knowledge but for instance a post concerning a soldier could be tagged with his name, unit, regiment, home town etc. I don't know if they can be later added.

Mick.

39 minutes ago, Mick M said:

I think I've found an answer to the puzzle;

In the original pic above from Phillips service record, C13 is just discernable in the second column next to HMS Bonaventure 

Ione last thing do we still refer to ships in the feminine or has that somehow now offensive?

mick.

Think it refers to List 13  Mick.  @horatio2will confirm?

I think referring to ships & subs etc in feminine terms is still de rigeur but I have been out many many yrs so could be wrong.

Screenshot_20220921-145258_Chrome.jpg.3cd1eb42c85836d49ceab164f01f5382.jpg

24 minutes ago, RNCVR said:

Think it refers to List 13  Mick.  @horatio2will confirm?

I think referring to ships & subs etc in feminine terms is still de rigeur but I have been out many many yrs so could be wrong.

Thanks, glad I asked now...the 13 IN the ditto row but list column is definitely preceeded by a C though...

Screenshot_20220921-145149_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Mick M

1 hour ago, Mick M said:

When you do a post you can imbed tags which a search may find and direct to the post. That has exhausted my IT knowledge but for instance a post concerning a soldier could be tagged with his name, unit, regiment, home town etc. I don't know if they can be later added.

Mick.

Well done, I see you have been able to add one tag, and have got tagging. Hope the following makes for an informative read

I believe the "13" in the DOLPHIN and the two BONAVENTURE rows refer to LList 13 on the respective ledgers = supernumeraries. Compare with the preceding List 5 for INDEFATIGABLE = ship's complement.

I agree that the stand-alone "C" is a strange, untranslated anomaly. Its appearance from 1 April 1916 is also unexplained. However, I do not think the "C" should be associated with the following  List "13" to conjure up a notional draft to HMS C.13.

The final MAIDSTONE entry also has a strange List No. "XIV". List Nos are normally written (as before) in Arabic numerals but the ledger writer has, for some reason, chosen to use Roman numerals here. List 14 also = supernumeraries.

In summary, I am afraid we are faced with a rather poorly-completed ledger record which does not reveal the full story.

Edited by horatio2

2 hours ago, Mick M said:

it does serve to show Philip served at Harwich after HMS Dolphin albeit on 2 boats...

I do not believe this to be the case. Setting aside whether he served in C.13 or C.16 (if at all), HMS BONAVENTURE was based on the Tyne in 1916/17 (under Rear-Admiral Commanding, East Coast of England) not at Harwich.

Edited by horatio2

3 hours ago, horatio2 said:

I do not believe this to be the case. Setting aside whether he served in C.13 or C.16 (if at all), HMS BONAVENTURE was based on the Tyne in 1916/17 (under Rear-Admiral Commanding, East Coast of England) not at Harwich.

Thank you....he was definitely on C16 though when it sank.

I believe the "13" in the DOLPHIN and the two BONAVENTURE rows refer to LList 13 on the respective ledgers = supernumeraries. Compare with the preceding List 5 for INDEFATIGABLE = ship's complement.

I agree that the stand-alone "C" is a strange, untranslated anomaly. Its appearance from 1 April 1916 is also unexplained. However, I do not think the "C" should be associated with the following  List "13" to conjure up a notional draft to HMS C.13.

The final MAIDSTONE entry also has a strange List No. "XIV". List Nos are normally written (as before) in Arabic numerals but the ledger writer has, for some reason, chosen to use Roman numerals here. List 14 also = supernumeraries.

In summary, I am afraid we are faced with a rather poorly-completed ledger record which does not reveal the full story.

Yes we can't assume anything really...

I do not think the "C" should be associated with the following  List "13" to conjure up a notional draft to HMS C.13.

Having reviewed the ADM 188 records of some of the other C.16 casualties, I must walk back on the above assessment.

It appears that those ratings on the books of BONAVENTURE were not recorded as serving in submarines by the usual convention of placing the submarine in brackets in the "Ships..." column (e.g. Bonaventure (C.16)). Instead they recorded the submarine number as a "List and Number". @Mick M's hunch was, therefore, correct and we should accept that Stoker CLEMETT was, indeed, drafted to serve in HMSM C.13 on 1 April 1916.

His later move to C.16  on the books of  MAIDSTONE at Harwich was recorded in the usual manner.

23 hours ago, horatio2 said:

Having reviewed the ADM 188 records of some of the other C.16 casualties, I must walk back on the above assessment.

It appears that those ratings on the books of BONAVENTURE were not recorded as serving in submarines by the usual convention of placing the submarine in brackets in the "Ships..." column (e.g. Bonaventure (C.16)). Instead they recorded the submarine number as a "List and Number". @Mick M's hunch was, therefore, correct and we should accept that Stoker CLEMETT was, indeed, drafted to serve in HMSM C.13 on 1 April 1916.

His later move to C.16  on the books of  MAIDSTONE at Harwich was recorded in the usual manner.

Wow, thank you for that.

Mick

Thank you one and all for your time and knowledge, I have learnt much from this thread. I've written his story for the church he is buried in so wanted to get it right.

Mick.

On 21/09/2022 at 17:04, Keith_history_buff said:

Well done, I see you have been able to add one tag, and have got tagging. Hope the following makes for an informative read

Very informative ta, I'd love for people to find RNCVR's journal...

Thanks for doing this Mick.

At times I come across an interesting thread on here. The Original Poster has not tagged said article, and I know I won't otherwise be able to find it for love nor money. I'll comment on said thread, so I can find it that way. I do bemoan the fact that so few people tag their posts. 

The flipside is where you get meaningless tags. The tag of "grandad" has been added to several hundred records in The National Archives's Discovery database. It's of use to the tagger themselves, but is otherwise as much use as a chocolate teapot to anyone else.

1 hour ago, Mick M said:

Very informative ta, I'd love for people to find RNCVR's journal...

I could start a new topic specifically for the Journal, & certainly would like to as some might find it of interest, but as it's Victorian period it

would be out of the Forum rules(?).

2 minutes ago, RNCVR said:

I could start a new topic specifically for the Journal, & certainly would like to as some might find it of interest, but as it's Victorian period it

would be out of the Forum rules(?).

I think it is very relevant in respect of training etc, I've tagged it on this thread but think it should have its own post explaining its relevance to WW1. That's my opinion for what it's worth.

Mick.

28 minutes ago, Keith_history_buff said:

Thanks for doing this Mick.

At times I come across an interesting thread on here. The Original Poster has not tagged said article, and I know I won't otherwise be able to find it for love nor money. I'll comment on said thread, so I can find it that way. I do bemoan the fact that so few people tag their posts. 

The flipside is where you get meaningless tags. The tag of "grandad" has been added to several hundred records in The National Archives's Discovery database. It's of use to the tagger themselves, but is otherwise as much use as a chocolate teapot to anyone else.

That's made me laugh, thanks it was a crap day now its good.

Mick.