Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Verdun and St.Miehil

Chesterboy

7 hours ago, Chesterboy said:

Looking at going to Verdun and St Miehil 

does anybody have any recommendations for places to eat or to grab a quick snack during lunch times

Will

If on the battlefields at Verdun the only place is near the Ossuary.

St Mihiel is a bit of a problem. I was once thrown out of a restaurant/bar at 1 p.m. for requesting something to eat. They only served at noon. There is a supermarket near the centre (across the bridge). They may have some sort of snack bar or similar.

I always found it easier to get something from a supermarket in the morning and eat that at noon.

Jan

I stopped several times at Saint-Mihiel for lunch: a small French town, like so many, with its habits...

"Les Jumeaux" offer good and various burgers

Pizzeria "Au lion d'Or", classic but good

And another restaurant (I forgot the name) which I believe is closed now. but there are some others too

Sly

9 hours ago, Sly said:

I stopped several times at Saint-Mihiel for lunch: a small French town, like so many, with its habits...

"Les Jumeaux" offer good and various burgers

Pizzeria "Au lion d'Or", classic but good

And another restaurant (I forgot the name) which I believe is closed now. but there are some others too

Sly

St Mihiel was devastated in WW1 and was just getting rebuilt after that when WW2 hit them.

In WW1 they lost the regional law courts a major timber industry, and other things. All that is there now is a disused covered market and a lot of rust.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if you've been yet, however there's a lot of decent restaurants along the riverbanks in Verdun itself. There's also a very large E Leclerc supermarket on the edge of Verdun nr Belleview s/Meuse which has various snack bars inside it. Hope this helps! 

On 03/10/2022 at 15:27, Poppy Mercier said:

I don't know if you've been yet, however there's a lot of decent restaurants along the riverbanks in Verdun itself. There's also a very large E Leclerc supermarket on the edge of Verdun nr Belleview s/Meuse which has various snack bars inside it. Hope this helps! 

Poppy 

thank you for your reply, it will be next year.  I’m due to attend a wedding in Rhiems.  

ive had a quick look at the Sherlock pub in Verdun looks like a must to visit