Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dennis O'Malley

Dennis

Hi All,

My Grandfather Company Sergeant Major Timothy, 5367, Royal Irish Fusiliers.  He was Killed In Action on May 11 1917 age 43.  He has no known grave.   I was in Arras on the 100th anniversary of his falling.  My information tells me he was hit by a shell at the chemical works where the supermarket now stands.  I know he also fought in India.  

I would be very grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction to find out more about him.

Many Thanks,

Dennis (Danny) O'Malley.

Hi Dennis

Welcome to the forum. Are you looking for specific information concerning his death or more generally? 

I note there is detailed family tree for him in Ancestry (which might be you?) so wondering what you already know and what you seeking to know? 

I see he was a Boer war veteran too.

Jervis

The Anglo-Celt. 30/06/1917. 2300. County Cavan War Casualties. The following men from County Cavan have been officially reported killed in recent actions.-Company Sergeant Major T O’Malley, R.I.F,. Cavan; Privates P O’Brien, Swanlinbar, K.O.S.B.; S Reburn, Shercock, Northumberland Fusiliers ; O O’Reilly, Ballinagh, Sherwood Foresters; Corporal J Scott, Corlespratten, R.I.F.; T Kelly, Cavan, R.I.F. Died of Wounds-Private W Clay, Cavan; L McGowan, Drumeelis, Cavan. Missing-Private P Flynn, Ballyjamesduff. Wounded-Second Lieutenant W F Gilmore, Bailieboro; Private Matthew Smyth, Cavan; J Drury, Belturbet; M Kelly, Clones; E Armstrong, Clones.

35 minutes ago, Jervis said:

Hi Dennis

Welcome to the forum. Are you looking for specific information concerning his death or more generally? 

I note there is detailed family tree for him in Ancestry (which might be you?) so wondering what you already know and what you seeking to know? 

I see he was a Boer war veteran too.

Jervis.    Thank you very much Jervis.  I don't believe I've seen that family tree you spoke of.  

What I know is his parents names etc. and that my late father was born in September 1016.  I cannot find any trace of his movements from my Dad's birth until my Grandfather's death.  I don't think he ever saw my Dad.  I'm not sure.  He was also a recruiting officer in Cork, Ireland but there seems to be no records of time his time there.  Apart from his death and his being in The Boer war I really have little else.  Details seem to be very scarce or maybe I'm just not looking in the correct places.

I'm eternally grateful for your help Jarvis.

Many Thanks,    Dennis.

50 minutes ago, museumtom said:

The Anglo-Celt. 30/06/1917. 2300. County Cavan War Casualties. The following men from County Cavan have been officially reported killed in recent actions.-Company Sergeant Major T O’Malley, R.I.F,. Cavan; Privates P O’Brien, Swanlinbar, K.O.S.B.; S Reburn, Shercock, Northumberland Fusiliers ; O O’Reilly, Ballinagh, Sherwood Foresters; Corporal J Scott, Corlespratten, R.I.F.; T Kelly, Cavan, R.I.F. Died of Wounds-Private W Clay, Cavan; L McGowan, Drumeelis, Cavan. Missing-Private P Flynn, Ballyjamesduff. Wounded-Second Lieutenant W F Gilmore, Bailieboro; Private Matthew Smyth, Cavan; J Drury, Belturbet; M Kelly, Clones; E Armstrong, Clones.  

Thank you very much...I haven't seen this before.  WOW. Many Thanks

Hi Dennis. 

Sorry I missed your response, as it seems to have been appended to my precious comment. 

I am attaching a pension record for Timothy O’Malley which references your father and his brother. It makes sad reading. In addition to the death of your grandfather, his widowed wife Elizabeth was residing in an Asylum. Firstly in Co. Monaghan & later Grangegorman Asylum Dublin. The boys seem to be in the care of a guardian(s). It appears the first Guardian was a priest Fr O’Loughlin of Rathmines Dublin & a second named guardian was Mrs Catherine Morrow of Cootehill Co Cavan. (Which is where your grandparents were residing). A tough start in life for your father & his brother. 

Jervis

7CD6FC1F-0176-40CB-9E26-48FB2631157A.jpeg

P.S. I have just noticed his wife’s Madien name is Elizabeth Morrow, so it would appear that the boys were in the care of a relative Catherine Morrow. 

Edited by Jervis

3 hours ago, museumtom said:

Thank you very much...I haven't seen this before.  WOW. Many Thanks

Some additional info:

1874: Timothy O’Malley was born in Limerick, the son of a farmer. See Birth record for Tim O’Malley

1901/902 - Served in the Boer was as a Sergeant in the Royal Irish Fusiliers 

The 1911 Census records him as a single man working as a recruiting Sergeant while living in Bailieborough Co. Cavan.  See 1911 Census record

He married Elizabeth Morrow some time afterwards.

1913 first  son Edmund is born Edmund birth cert, father is described as Colour Sergeant in RIF

1916 Your fathers birth records him as a soldier (see Link to birth record of James Dennis O’Malley

While Timothy was a trained and experienced soldier, he was not sent to the front until at least 1916. Probably because of his age and probably because he was needed to train new recruits. 

Jervis

Edited by Jervis

That's incredible Jervis.  I never knew my grandmother was in those institutions.  I did hear the name Morrow okay. They were very good to my Dad and his brother Edmund.  I never really found out why though.  My Dad must have been embarrassed or just protecting us.  He was an amazing man, he reared 10 of us and we never saw a hungry day.  I so loved him.

How can I begin to thank you Jervis

I am gobsmacked here.  

Many many thanks again,

Kindest Regards,

Denni

2 minutes ago, Jervis said:

Some additional info:

1874: Timothy O’Malley was born in Limerick, the son of a farmer. See Birth record for Tim O’Malley

1901/902 - Served in the Boer was as a Sergeant in the Royal Irish Fusiliers 

The 1911 Census records him as a single man working as a recruiting Sergeant while living in Bailieborough Co. Cavan.  See 1911 Census record

He married Elizabeth Morrow some time afterwards.

1916 Your fathers birth records him as a soldier (see Link to birth record of James Dennis O’Malley

While Timothy was a trained and experienced soldier, he was not sent to the front until at least 1916. Probably because of his age and probably because he was needed to train new recruits. 

Jervis

My goodness Jervis you have opened a box of delights for me.  INCREDIBLE.  I'm stunned.  🙏🏾🙏🏾🤝🤝

You are very welcome Dennis. Your father sounds like a great man, I am glad he overcame his tough start in life.

His mother must have had a very tough time, she had only recently given birth when she got the news her husband was killed. She must have been devastated. Very sad. 

Screenshot_20220919-232050_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20220919-231641_Facebook.jpg

25 minutes ago, Jervis said:

You are very welcome Dennis. Your father sounds like a great man, I am glad he overcame his tough start in life.

His mother must have had a very tough time, she had only recently given birth when she got the news her husband was killed. She must have been devastated. Very sad. 

My God he did have a rough start. I never knew of the priest either.  I have some catching up to-do.  The photos are of my parents on their wedding day and then at my wedding day.  It's the only photo of our entire family together. A Precious memory.  We're so happy they were both able to enjoy our day. Their first offspring to wed.

My Dad was a barman up till the age of 55 when through a friend he started work on The Department of Health.  A 9 to 5 job.  He couldn't believe his luck.  I was so lucky to have enjoyed a pint or two with him before he died aged 69.

We were blessed with wonderful parents.

One million thanks to you Jervis.

I have already forwarded your incredible information to my sibblings.

God Bless You Sir,

A very grateful 

Dennis...