Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Nurse Kate Luard diary, anomaly?

David_Blanchard

In Kate Luard’s diary extract for the 25 April she witnessed the ADMS of the 5th Division being brought in to her CCS suffering from the effects of an experiment with chlorine gas. In her book ‘Diary of a Nursing Sister on the Western Front’ due to military secrecy the division is not identified. Yet in Lyn Macdonald’s ‘The Roses of No Man’s Land’ page 85 the division is identified as the 5th.

However, in the ADMS 5th Division WD there is no mention of this experience. And Colonel W T Swan’s diary is normally very extensive with regard to his whereabouts. 

Another division is mentioned in the diary but not identified- if this could be found out perhaps the WD of the ADMS of this division may provide some clues. 

Any help with this apparent anomaly appreciated.

David 

38683582-A3FE-49D7-AC38-53A9645E140C.jpeg

5E5E405F-02F0-4021-84B6-F18593E397B9.jpeg

Edited by David_Blanchard

• 4 weeks later...
  • Admin
On 19/09/2022 at 17:38, David_Blanchard said:

Any help with this apparent anomaly appreciated.

Hi David, I have looked at the 4 div ADMS diary which may give you a clue if you can read the *ugger ;-) Doctors hand writing! Bits are decipherable, 25th April is your start point. WO 95 1461-3 Cheers, Bob. I am now looking at 1st and 3rd Cavalry ADMS WDs An edit here @David_Blanchard no clues in the two cavalry ADMS WDs   WO 95 1101_1 1st Cav Div and WO95 11451-1 3rd Cav Div. No clue that I can see in the 46 North Midland Div but it is worth reading, appendices gives suggestions on what to do under gas attack amongst other things such as burying dead /rotting animal corpses. WO 95 2670-1_1   image.png.43aa481e76738129ba951a026acedede.png

Edited by Bob Davies

I've seen a mention of Major? Harold B Fawcus RAMC having a test whiff of gas around this time.

He was DADMS 1st Division at the time.

TEW

I'm not sure whether this is relevant but maybe of some interest. Reported in the Dundee Courier 05th June 1918.

701C805C-6387-4CCD-B1E5-F191C160FC64_4_5005_c.jpeg

• Admin

@David_Blanchard Drawing a blank on this one David.  WO 95 3717 1_3  Lahore Div ADMS has a map of casualty evacuation and a typed page about counteracting gas in the appendices.    WO 95 44 1_2  dated 26-4-15 may also be of help to you but nothing that answers your question directly. Regards, Bob. EDIT here; this link may also help? It is where I found WO 95 44  link; https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5131841/#R87

Edited by Bob Davies

• Admin
13 hours ago, David_Blanchard said:

No problem, thanks for your help as ever.

Happy to help. I will go through them all again as I may have missed something? All ADMS war diaries I have looked at so far; 1st Cav, 3rd Cav, 4th DIV, 46 NM DIV, 27 DIV, 28DIV good maps showing casualty evac contained in appendices  and the Lahore Div. 1st Canadian DIV were there but I have not found or looked for them yet. Part of WO 95 44 here;image.png.d04ffd09c314ba6f928ccb27a26d6763.png

Edited by Bob Davies

• Admin
On 11/10/2022 at 23:50, TEW said:

I've seen a mention of Major? Harold B Fawcus RAMC having a test whiff of gas around this time.

He was DADMS 1st Division at the time.

TEW

@David_Blanchard Thank you Tew, here is a link that mentions Lt Col Fawcus inhaling too much chlorine.https://simonjoneshistorian.com/tag/gas-warfare/ Third column from the left halfway down.  As well you know there has been a lot written about the gas attack at Ypres 1915, a lot of it repeated in different words. What I did discover was that on 9th April 1915 there was a warning printed in the 'Times' newspaper. 'New German Weapon. Poisonous Gas for Our Troops' I don't have an account with old newspapers or the like to read the original. One more link of interest is 'War Story of the Canadian Army Medical Corps' It contains things I never even considered about the use of gas. link here; https://archive.org/details/warstoryofcanadi01adamuoft/mode/2up  Best Wishes, Bob. Edit, also this link; https://simonjoneshistorian.com/2016/07/07/edward-harrison-who-gave-his-life-developing-protection-against-poison-gas/

Edited by Bob Davies

Thanks Bob for finding the Fawcus reference. I've seen the account of his gas test in a WO95 diary. After I posted I tried in vain to find the diary extract.

TEW