Remembered Today:

Framed French medals

geraint

I bought theses at a vide grenier (boot sale) in Bellac, France yesterday. Two are  Medaile Militaire (Legion D'Honneur militaire) and the middle one is a Croix de Guerre with bronze star. They are fairly common, but my question is - were they awarded to one man, or are they a compilation put together by another person? Could one man be awarded with two separate Medaile Militaire, or did they have a clasp or bar system as the Brits did? The purchase had no provenance or certification whatsoever.

Medalau.jpg

6 minutes ago, geraint said:

I bought theses at a vide grenier (boot sale) in Bellac, France yesterday. Two are  Medaile Militaire (Legion D'Honneur militaire) and the middle one is a Croix de Guerre with bronze star. They are fairly common, but my question is - were they awarded to one man, or are they a compilation put together by another person? Could one man be awarded with two separate Medaile Militaire, or did they have a clasp or bar system as the Brits did? The purchase had no provenance or certification whatsoever.

I have seen men cited as having been awarded the Médaille Militaire twice, but it has never said that this was a bar or a new medal. I'm guessing the second.

Thanks Healdav. I've done a lot of picture looking on both medals. They appear in war photographs with all manner of bars and stars and leaves etc- all in bronze, silver and gold. As you know , their gallantry medal award system was completely different to ours. A company or even a battalion could be awarded the C de G and all soldiers wore the fougiere (spelling apologies) which was the green and red shoulder lanyard. You may well be right - my own hunch is that they were not given two medals  - but I don't know.

Edited by geraint

If a ww1 group would we not expect see a victory medal ?

My feeling is made for display 

Good point. Were French Victory medals given posthumously as well? Probably.

nice find Geraint.

we only ever found broken lawnmowers and kids toys at Brocantes when we were over there.

Chas

I'm not really a collector - but as I live near Magnac-Laval which was the town garrison and depot for the 138th Infantry Magnac-Laval/ Bellac Regiement, I found that a previous occupier of our house was killed at Verdun and his company had been awarded a C de G. The fourier (cord lanyard denoting a company CdeG) was here when we moved in but unfortunately I didn't know what it was and I lost it. I had already bought another CdeG and Medaille Militaire in honour of Jean Laureant. I saw these and for 35euros couldn't resist them. I'm still looking for a replacement fourier! Thee's another vide grenier on Sunday -so who knows!

Geraint, 

we looked around a few Brocante's after our burglary just in case we spotted anything, but not. 

We had a few things in the roof of our house but not as old, as the village was bombed in the second event the RAF and USAF trying to remove V1 sites. Creeping barage in WW1 but crept back bombing in WW2. Our local town , Frevent, got more deserted over the time we were there, more closed shops, so nothing to find. 

9 hours ago, geraint said:

I'm still looking for a replacement fourier

I think you mean a fourragère

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourragère_française

Apparently they were red/green, and there are many replicas for sale online, like e.g this one:

https://www.trancheemilitaire.com/fourragere-epaulettes/6318-25371-fourragere-croix-de-guerre-14-18.html#/155-couleur-dore

(But I have no idea what the difference is between "Gilded" and "Silvered")

Fourragere. Apologies to all for my misspelling. It was done from memory. Fodder seems to be a colloquialism of fourrager.