Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Piracy during the Great War in the South & East China seas

yperman

Can any member kindly point me at sources regarding piracy during the Great War in the South and East  China seas please? I am thinking of things such as China station RN warship logs Not sure if this should be in Skindles but I felt the people who will  know are be more likely to visit this forum.

Many thanks, Yperman

• 2 weeks later...

In the 1920s there is mention in the book "We Dive At Dawn"? on a run in between one of HMS/Ms and Chinese pirates who took over a merchant ship.

19 hours ago, James A Pratt III said:

In the 1920s there is mention in the book "We Dive At Dawn"? on a run in between one of HMS/Ms and Chinese pirates who took over a merchant ship.

Yes the pirates were hung in Hong Kong after a sharp fight with a "L" class submarine and other RN units. During the period 1800 -1950   the whole South China sea  area had a real problem  with pirates - including a pirate  attack on a Police post on an outlying island off Hongkong. (The garrison were killed). My interest at the moment is in the HK Marine  Police and RN anti-piracy operations during the Great War and it looks like I had best try Kew. 

11 hours ago, yperman said:

Yes the pirates were hung in Hong Kong after a sharp fight with a "L" class submarine and other RN units. During the period 1800 -1950   the whole South China sea  area had a real problem  with pirates - including a pirate  attack on a Police post on an outlying island off Hongkong. (The garrison were killed). My interest at the moment is in the HK Marine  Police and RN anti-piracy operations during the Great War and it looks like I had best try Kew. 

Perhaps there may be something in the general online sources for Hong Kong, such as the online newspapers, or Government publications such as the Hong  Kong Government Gazette.

For more details, see the FIBIS Fibiwiki page Hong Kong 

https://wiki.fibis.org/w/Hong_Kong

On 27/09/2022 at 01:07, James A Pratt III said:

This book is available online and I can access it full view. Not sure whether everyone can.

We Dive at Dawn by Lt.-Com. Kenneth Edwards 1941. HathiTrust Digital Library.  Missing Contents page, but includes a description of the Illustrations, which gives some idea of the Contents.

Maureen

17 hours ago, MaureenE said:

Perhaps there may be something in the general online sources for Hong Kong, such as the online newspapers, or Government publications such as the Hong  Kong Government Gazette.

For more details, see the FIBIS Fibiwiki page Hong Kong 

https://wiki.fibis.org/w/Hong_Kong

This book is available online and I can access it full view. Not sure whether everyone can.

We Dive at Dawn by Lt.-Com. Kenneth Edwards 1941. HathiTrust Digital Library.  Missing Contents page, but includes a description of the Illustrations, which gives some idea of the Contents.

Maureen

Thanks MaureenE I will follow your link. Yperman

There are two books that i read a long time ago that might help:

Yangtze patrol the US Navy in China Kemp Tolley

Gunboats on the Great River  the Royal navy on the Yangtze Gregory Haines

Thank you very much for the titles. Yperman

• 4 months later...

An account written   about the situation in January 1913  "Chasing Chinese Pirates" by Lewis R Freeman

https://archive.org/details/wide-world-mag-1916-v37/page/41/mode/2up

Page 41 The Wide World Magazine.  Volume 37  May-October 1916 Archive.org

Wikipedia page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_R._Freeman Lewis R. Freeman. American explorer, journalist and war correspondent 

Maureen

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you MaureenE am fighting decorators etc who have made a fair re enactment of the Somme out of my house. hence delay in replying