Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Metaldetecting find

Arne Vandendriessche

Hello,

Today I found something with my metal detector in Poperinge. I think the find was not originally folded. I think the piece with the holes was tied to something? If anyone knows what it was used for please let me know.

Arne

20220917_203318.jpg

20220917_203313.jpg

20220917_203309.jpg

I think it may be something not related to WWI. I don't know what it is, but it looks civilian and older than 1914 to me.

Jan

• Admin
On 17/09/2022 at 20:00, Arne Vandendriessche said:

Hello,

Today I found something with my metal detector in Poperinge. I think the find was not originally folded. I think the piece with the holes was tied to something? If anyone knows what it was used for please let me know.

Arne

Arne, thanks for posting this. Now, what is it made from, iron or steel, test with a magnet or a copper alloy such as brass? Is that green paint? My mind tells me I have seen this before but where is eluding me at the moment. Cheers, Bob.

It's obviously brass and I stick with my opinion: a bent ancient belt buckle of some kind.

Hello,

The material is a copper alloy, and the green you can see is copper oxidation. It may be an older model Jan, but an experienced metal detectorist who was with me when I found it could tell me from the condition and alloy of copper that it is very likely from WW1. Maybe someday I'll come across it somewhere and then I'll know what it is.

Arne

That could very well be!
Thanks, I'll see if I can find pictures of something similar.

Arne