Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Finding Seaman H.Hughes 1916-17

clive_hughes

Having had some kind assistance here with an aspect of this casualty's service recently, I'm hoping it might be possible to go a bit further.

Able Seaman H.Hughes, born Amlwch, Anglesey, and (?next of kin) resident Partington (Trafford, Manchester) aged about 21 was killed when the sailing vessel Hannah Croasdell of Lancaster was destroyed by a mine explosion off Pembrokeshire on 26 Feb. 1917.    He wasn't commemorated on Anglesey, but is listed on the Tower Hill Memorial, London.

According to the vessel's Crew List for 1916 on the 1915CrewLists website, he signed on the schooner at Swansea on 24.8.1916.  His previous vessel was stated, but I can't read the name.  

image.jpeg.8e60c102dbcad5a97fcfd7df6716a2af.jpeg

It should be a sailing ship - possibly (something) Lass??   I can't make out a close enough match for Hughes in the earlier 1915-16 crew lists online.

Any opinions welcomed.

Clive

Hi Clive

I think its Epney Lass ON 27875

If you look for it on the   1915 crew lists I think you will find Hugh  Hughes from Almwich (sic) as a member of  the crew between July and Dec 1915

best wishes

ernest james

Edited by ernest james
Improved crew list details

That's excellent Ernest,

Not just a previous vessel but his forename!  Granted that Hugh Hugheses are fairly common in North Wales, it pins him down much more.

Thank you,

Clive Hughes

Hi Clive

I can recommend the search facility on the Clip ship names website.

it gave me a long list of names where "lass" was the last word. I thought that the first word started with "E"

I think there were 209 choices for H Hughes on the 1915 crew lists website and it didnt recognise "almwich"

best wishes ernest james

Ernest,

I know of the CLIP website but haven't used it as often as I might: there are dozens of local Merchant Navy WW1 casualties on Anglesey, esp. from the ports such as Holyhead and Amlwch. You're right in that even the very useful CLIP website is hostage to the name spellings that the captain and crew used (or thought they heard).  I was recently looking at another Amlwch casualty and found that his ship's master also claimed to be born and resident in the same place, but no trace of him locally in the memorial sense.  

All the best,

Clive