Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

LT Edward Kingsley Wakeford, Royal Leicestershire Rgt

b2187101

I am trying to find an image of Lt Edward Kingsley Wakeford or the Royal Leicester Regiment, I believe he was 7th Bn?  He was killed 26 July 1916 at High Woods, Bazentin.  He actually has a lot written about him on the internet since he was a noted mathematician and chess player- everything but a photo.  I haven't seemed to find much on Ancestry website other than he was killed.  Thank you for your suggestions.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Here you go, from the regimental website, I may have more on him at home but am away at the moment

Andy

https://royalleicestershireregiment.org.uk/entity/127758-wakeford-edward-kingsley?q=

2A60918E-4716-40EF-959B-CBC3D6E86E53.jpeg

13 minutes ago, b2187101 said:

Thanks! I did not know that there was a regimental 

Edited by garfyboy

• 1 year later...

According to CWGC and other sources he was killed on the 16th not 26th July 16. He was educated at Clifton College and Trinity College Cambridge. Nigel 

1 hour ago, wet255 said:

According to CWGC and other sources he was killed on the 16th not 26th July 16.

MIC notes K in A 14/7/17

M

Edit: 7LR WD entry for 14/7/17 refers to Lt WAKEFORD being "hit" and "killed in the wood" https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7353181

Edited by Matlock1418
edit

I'm writing the book about all Trinity College Cambridge men killed in WW1. Three or four reliable sources have him killed on the 16th. That said the amount of difference I have discovered re date of death, is surprising. Trinity's memorial page have him killed on the 16th to. I'll keep digging. Nigel  

I wonder if he was wounded on the 14th died on the 16th Ive had a few of those where his DOD is given as the date he was wounded ?

11 hours ago, wet255 said:

I wonder if he was wounded on the 14th died on the 16th Ive had a few of those where his DOD is given as the date he was wounded ?

From the War Diary (WD) as @Matlock1418 pointed to, he war hit and killed in the wood on the 14th.

Two mentions both on the 14th-7th-1916.

Screen shots courtesy of the national archives.

image.png.8364d0edcbff1b15296dfd87ad43f7c6.png

image.png.cecb59784bc1049a8c3ad8da1dfa8678.png

It is worth mentioning that the 'Leicestershire Regiment' were given the Royal title in 1946 @b2187101

Edited by Bob Davies

Bob Davies, I downloaded the National Archive information, you have shown, yesterday, but have not gotten to that page yet.  I sort of fell down the rabbit hole and began reading all of the prep for the attack on High Wood (?). Can I also state, that in my original post, I made a typing error and posted  26 July and not 16 July as I should have, but did not notice this until late.  I was also curious that Commonwealth War Graves has Edward listed as Killed on 16 July but the Leicestershire Regimental museum webpage has him killed on 14 July.  His younger brother George Tarik Wakeford was with the 1/4th Royal Berkshire and killed at La Boiselle on 23 July 1916, which is only about 7 or 8 KM from where Edward Kingsley Wakeford was killed.  Thank you for all of the information posted in response to my original posting.

16 hours ago, Bob Davies said:

From the War Diary (WD) as @Matlock1418 pointed to, he war hit and killed in the wood on the 14th.

Two mentions both on the 14th-7th-1916.

The WD is so comprehensive and detailed over so many pages [though it was probably written a few days later] it does make you wonder where CWGC got 16 July from???

M

3 hours ago, Matlock1418 said:

The WD is so comprehensive and detailed over so many pages [though it was probably written a few days later] it does make you wonder where CWGC got 16 July from???

M

It is an odd one M,

from a rudimentary search of officers killed on the 14th from the WD, Lieutenants Pickering-Clarke and Simpson have a matching day of death in the WD and the CWGC, both on the 14th. Their bodies were never found so they are commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial.

Lt Abbott also killed on the 14th matches the WD. He is presumed buried at Flat Iron Copse Cemetery.

Screenshot courtesy of CWGC.

image.png.60c9609f72dc5f1b643fbcaff4c5a2ab.png

Lt Wakefords body was moved and reburied (found at grid ref 57c. S.8.c.2.5 and reburied at 57c.S.14.c.5.3), so perhaps there was a misunderstanding from his original grave marker?

Lost in the fog of war presumably as there was no cross found but a reference GRU FO 5 which means 'Graves Registration Unit' so having a lot of bodies to re bury etc, mistakes will happen. Link to CWGC abbreviations here; https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/about-our-records/glossary/

image.png.29f8e9e0a95d383c29c62c50c71657d9.png

Bob Davies, outstanding. Feel free to message me as to why I am interested in Lt Edward Wakeford.  Each time I type Wakeford, I must remain alert I do not mis-type wakeman, the name of a local cemetery and regional family surname where I live.  Again, thank you.