Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

139837 AB John Ward HMT Gaul

Bardess

The above was DD 24.4.17 but is buried in Lodge Hill Cemetery, Birmingham. I thought those who died at sea were not bought back to be buried and am unsure why, in this case, he was

I attach his SR and would appreciate any information PCs from WFA/Fold3. TIA

CWGC.jpg

WFA Pension Card 1.jpg

WFA Pension Card 2.jpg

Service Record.pdf

In action with enemy submarine according to https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/51681 

Looking at the record she was a tender to another ship, therefore probably shore-based and did not stay out long enough to justify burial at sea 

sJ

8 minutes ago, Bardess said:

I thought those who died at sea were not bought back to be buried and am unsure why, in this case, he was

Burial at sea was not the rule for those dying at sea. In this case the three casualties in HMS GAUL were all brought the short distance from her action with UC.50 off Spurn Head to, probably, the GAUL's base at Immingham (HMS WALLINGTON). The other two caualties were burried at Hull and Cleethorpes.

On April 24, 1917, UC 50 (Kapitänleutnant Rudolf Seuffer) used its 88mm deck gun to attack a group of trawlers, some in naval service, some not. In addition to damage to HMT Gaul, UC 50 was able to sink Mayfly (3 dead) and HMT Margate (13 dead).

Aha, I thought it possibly signalled that John was wounded and made it to a medical facility. Many thanks all. More info for his folder

On 15/09/2022 at 11:43, Bardess said:

WFA Pension Card 1.jpg

WFA Pension Card 2.jpg

The pension cards from WFA/Fold3 indicate that his widow successfully made a claim for a higher APW [Alternative Pension Widow's - which would have been based on her late husband's pre-service earnings and would have had to have been positively proved by the widow]

The Western Front Association provide this brief guide to APW:

Alternative Pensions Disablement:

Any disabled man in receipt of pension who makes application and shows that the pension with children's allowances (if any) which he has been granted, together with the average earnings (if any)of which he remains capable, are less than his pre-War earnings, may be granted, temporarily or permanently, in lieu of the minimum pension and children's allowances, a pension which, together with the average earnings (if any) of which he is judged capable, shall not exceed his pre-War earnings up to a maximum of 50s. a week, plus half of any pre-War earnings between 50s. and 100s. a week.

Alternative Pension Widows and Dependants:

Any widow pensioned .... who makes application and shows that the minimum pension, with children's allowances (if any), which she has been granted is less than one-half of any alternative pension that might have been awarded to the deceased soldier had he survived, may be granted, in lieu of a minimum pension and children's allowances, a pension which shall not exceed one-half of such deceased soldier's alternative pension. The pension issuable to a widow is increased by 1s. 3d. a week when she reaches the age of 45.

https://www.westernfrontassociation.com/world-war-i-articles/great-war-pension-record-cards-and-ledgers-deeper-understanding

M

Edited by Matlock1418
typos